1st mid power launch pad

There ya go. They work great all the way through H impulse.

Pick up various launch rods at Lowes, Menards etc. 1/8", 3/16", and 1/4". Longest they have for 3/16 and 1/4, but 3-4' is plenty for the 1/8 to launch the smaller stuff.

Have fun.

-Boomer

Reply to
Boomer

Opinions wanted please, and I know this is the place to get them! ;-)

I am looking to build my 1st mid power rocket, and wanted to know if it would be better to build my own launch pad, or get the one from Aero-Tech?

If build, are there any plans online? Do I order the rod only, or is there something I can pick up at my local store?

Thanx for any answers!

------------------------------------- -- - - glenn

"Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to speak it to?"

#define WHO 1

int main(void) { printf("%d r0x0rs!!!\n", WHO); }

Reply to
Glenn

Yellow pages : steel - New There are several places around town with dropped ends which sometimes are

10' or more. Stainless steel rod works nicely. I've used 1/8" rod from HomeDepo for BP motors, they will corrode faster.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

I saw this link posted in RMR a few days ago

"Build a Launch Pad for $20" by Andy Hofle

it is one of the most flexible designs I've seen yet

I bought a beautiful telescoping launch pad, the larger "Zrocketwerkz Zpad" from Space Age Hobbies, with very solid chrome contruction. But I don't think they are available anymore. A shame, since it would accept launch rods from 1/8 to 1/4 (the latter lets you use a 1/4 stud Blacksky "Standard" rail) for heavier rockets [ Blacksky's website is at

]

BTW, Chad Blair, the owner of Space Age Hobbies wrote an excellent introduction to model rocketry

"For Educators New to Model Rocketry? - Here are the basics..."

the article is available from the East Coast Rocketry website at

- iz

Glenn wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Glenn, Try the PVC pad that was suggested via link. It works great, is cheap, and very durable!! The AT design is fantastic...however the plastic used is much too fragile, only used mine twice, and broke it BOTH times. We've used the PVC design for a couple of years now, and other than needing a fresh coat of paint..hehe less money, works almost as good, and is a million times more sturdy, you cannot go wrong. It will take you longer to find the parts at the local Menard/Home Depot than it will to put together.

Tom

Reply to
Thomas Parson

World's simplest, cheapest, easiest launch pad:

You may have to go to a metals dealer to find stainless steel rod. For mid power, 1/4" diameter should do.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Commonwealth Displays has a nice selection of rods. My 3/16" (and 1/4") x 48" came in a PVC tube, which was a nice thing to have for storage and trasport.

see the bottom of the page at

- iz

RayDunak> Glenn wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Just as cheap, and doesn't need the rocks on the feet:

Credit goes to Tom Beach for the original, and Bunny for the half size version. I've been using the mini for my MR/LMR launches for well over a decade now. And with the dowel inthe center, it's the ideal launcher for BGs.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

wow, the cymbal idea is great! i got a co-worker that is a drummer that might just have an extra one layin' around ;-) thanx for the idea!