Technical problem concerning the microcontroller of the RCX brick

Hi
I am a member of a project group at Aalborg University, Denmark, and the goal
for our project on this semester is to code an operating system for the RCX
brick from Lego.
During a whole week, I have been strugling with the 8 bit timers of the H8/3292
(which is a member of the H8/3297 series). I have in my hand section 9 of the
hardware manual from Renesa (entitled "8-Bit Timers"), which should be enough to
make the timers work. I had no problems making the 16 bit timer work using
section 8 of the same manual. If someone is interested, my collections of links
can found here:

Let us jump right into the problem: I follow section 9 of the hardware manual to
the letter, but I cannot make the 8 bit timerswork completely. I am able to set
up one of channels, such that the overflow interrupt is requested on counter
overflow, but when I try enabling either CMIA or CMIB (Compare-Match Interrupt
Request A/B, done by setting bit 6/7 of the TCR, Timer Control Register) the
brick fails to continue. I have tried executing my program in BrickEmu and on a
real RCX brick - I get no error message from BrickEmu, and the RCX brick just
ceases operation (it does not power off, just stops further execution). I know
it is not a problem with my interrupt handler, because I used the same handler
when I successfully enabled the "on-counter-overflow-interrupt-request".
I use these typedefs:
typedef unsigned char byte;
typedef unsigned int word;
I use these defines:
// Timer Control Register
#define C0_TCR *((volatile byte*)0xffc8)
// Timer Control/Status Register
#define C0_TCSR *((volatile byte*)0xffc9)
// Time Constant Register A
#define C0_TCORA *((volatile byte*)0xffca)
// Serial/Timer Control Register
#define C01_STCR *((volatile byte*)0xffc3)
// Compare-Match A Interrupt Vector
#define C0_CMIA *((volatile word*)0xfda8)
Here is my main function, which sets up channel 0 of the timer and "installs"
the interrupt handler:
void _main(void)
{
// Make sure channel 0 of the timer is turned off
C0_TCR = 0;
// Set time constant register A to 100
// (this value is not important)
C0_TCORA = 100;
// Clear counter on compare-match A
C0_TCR &= ~0x08; // Clear bit 3
C0_TCR |= 0x10; // Set bit 4
// Choose slowest internal clock source (Oe_p/1024)
C0_TCR |= 0x03; // Set bit 0+1
C0_TCR &= ~0x04; // Clear bit 2
C01_STCR &= ~0x01; // Clear bit 0
// Make sure compare-match flag A is cleared
C0_TCSR &= ~0x40; // Clear bit 6
// Set interrupt vector
C0_CMIA = (word)&handler;
// Enable compare-match interrupt request A
C0_TCR |= 0x40; // Set bit 6
// Busy wait forever
while (1);
}
This is my interrupt handler:
void handler(void)
{
asm("push r0 \n\t" // Save registers
"push r1 \n\t" // CCR and r6 are saved by ROM dispatcher
"push r2 \n\t"
"push r3 \n\t"
"push r4 \n\t"
"push r5 \n\t"
"mov.w #0xf000, r0 \n\t" // Start motor A
"bset #7, @r0 \n\t"
"bclr #6, @r0 \n\t"
"bclr #6, @0xc3:8 \n\t" // Clear CMFA (bit 6 of TCSR)
"pop r5 \n\t" // Restore registers
"pop r4 \n\t"
"pop r3 \n\t"
"pop r2 \n\t"
"pop r1 \n\t"
"pop r0"
);
}
I expect motor A to start, when the interrupt is requested by the timer, but
nothing happens.
Any help would be appreciated.
Best regards,
Martin Toft
Reply to
Martin Toft
hi martin this group is dead. Go to lugnet.com, the robotics news group has all the experts.
- thomas hoeg-jensen
Reply to
Thomas Hoeg-Jensen