Anyone getting spammed because of Save Rocketry Now?

I just got some spam from:

Semroc Astronautics Corporation

They thanked me for contributing to Save Rocketry Now and then proceeded with their advertisement.

I thought my e-mail address wasn't going to be used for any other purpose.

Ben S.

Reply to
Rockets R Fun

Either the donation or raffle page said some vendors would be offering 10% discounts to all donors. Would you rather they have sent you a coupon via postal mail?

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Donators information was supplied to supporting vendors to enable them to send discount coupons to those who participated (as an acknowledgement of their participation).

I got mine from PML in the mail on Nov 1st.

That is what you recieved from SemRoc. I also recieved the same email.

- iz

Rockets R Fun wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Reply to
Rockets R Fun

You'll be safe from the virus if you help an exile from some government in Africa claim the $40,000,00 he's dues by providing a CC number. All funds you're due, however, will be invested in penny stocks that no one ever heard of, and will never get traded. If you do stress about that, you can probably get cheap drugs that are almost like Prozac for almost no cost.

If the patch won't fit on your computer, I got some sites that will make the "100meg patch slim down to 2meg", for only a few monthly payments! Or, if you're pulling out your hair over this, have I got the site for you!

Reply to
AZ Woody

then I hope the email address above is not real, or you will or do already get tons of real bad spam from real spammer who harvest the internet newsgroups. if that is your real email address above, go get a yahoo account or somethign and put that in your news reader instead of the sbcglobal email address.

will help bunches.

Semroc's email was not spam, it was sent to users who requested to receive the benifits of the raffles on save rocketry now and be contacted by the vendors who offered the benifits.

you will note, my name is real on this newsgroup, but my email address is not.

Art

Reply to
ArtU

I refuse to send unsolicited email even though somebody sent me all the addresses too. Buy from me.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Dear Mr. Abdur-Rasheed,

THIS IS NOT AN AUTOMATED RESPONSE

A review of the information you provided revealed that you are being approached over the Internet to participate in one of many variations of an advance fee scheme being perpetrated by individuals from various West African nations, particularly Nigeria. Victims have lost substantial funds in the past and all requests for travel to foreign locations should be ignored. The United States Secret Service (USSS) has developed an excellent, detailed description of this fraud scheme, which can be accessed at

If you have been victimized by one of these schemes, please forward appropriate written documentation to the USSS, Financial Crimes Division, 950 H Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20223, or telephone (202) 406-5850. We encourage you to share this Web page with family and friends. Your continued cooperation in this and other matters is greatly appreciated.

You do not need to forward the emails to us. Also, if you know that you are receiving Spam mail, it is advisable not to open the mail because the sender will validate your email address even if you don?t reply to the email.

I encourage you to share this information with your family, friends, and co-workers, and encourage them to not hesitate to submit information they may deem of interest to the FBI. Again, thank you for taking the time to forward this report to us.

Sincerely,

David N. Rushing/bgh Supervisory Special Agent FBI Headquarters Washington, D.C.

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

IZ.. I can't tell if you're being serious here or not, but if you read my whole post, it's a joke! We all know there are many, many scams in email spam!

Reply to
AZ Woody

yes, I know its a joke

but I got so many different versions of that same email, that I wanted to see what the FBI said about it

that was their response

;o)

- uz

AZ Woody wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

I had seen many salesmen get US mail in the 80s and 90s of the same scam before the internet made it easier. I heard 18 billion was lost Pre-Internet in that nigerian scam.

Reply to
ArtU

Hmm I got that as well but I consider that "borderline" spamm

I actually do not mind unsolicited mail if it is directed at ME specifically (IE I like rockets that is obvious) and it is not persistant and does not "hide" itself in fake subjects hidden trails and false return address.

I classifiied it as unsolicited commercial mail.

not spamm. spamm is a FAR different beast to me. Enlarging My Penis ads with no return address etc.. thats spamm :-)

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

if you don't want your 10% coupon can I have it?

and if you get any "rocket extender" spam send it to me too. it would sure save time & effort building my level 2 project, upscale Tristar.

but mostly what I want is spam for the "motor multiplier". you know, you leave a couple motors unsupervised in a box for a little while and when you open it up there are three or four motors in there...

would be great if someone would invent a Fibonacci motor multiplier: 1

1 2 3 5 8 13 etc.

Rockets R Fun wrote:

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

how about a "motor enlarger" that works overnight! :)

- iz

Cliff Sojourner wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

since I already sleep in a tent I'd settle for a few of those fanous "50% off at Hobby Lobby" coupons and an actual Hobby Lobby store somewhere in California. we have Michaels nearby and get the coupons but they don't stock rocket stuff.

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

No pumps, pills or injections - I think that's the usual line. Perhaps "Consolidate your rocketry debts" might be a lucrative one.

Spam makes me laugh, I wonder if anyone actually clicks through on it. I opened a new hotmail account, and haven't used it for anything but personal mail, and in 3 months have had no spam. The old account was getting upwards of 50 spam messages a day...i read somewhere that something like 60% of email traffic is now spam. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most people will agree that something needs to be done!

-- Niall Oswald ============= UKRA 1345, L0

Reply to
Niall Oswald

Public evisceration of spammers, with the entrails fed to anyone who ever ordered anything from them.

If that doesn't work, then we get serious about it.

Reply to
Anonymous

Huh? One of the big benefits of donating to the SRN raffle was a 10% discount from vendors who sponsored prizes. You knew this when you donated. How can it be unsolicited when it is fulfilling the offer made by the SRN raffle? Just because the PML one came via mail and Semroc's came via email makes them no different - they are both fulfilling the same agreement.

For anyone who donated to the SRN raffle to see the Semroc email - or email from any other vendor who is providing their 10% discount - as SPAM or unsolicited email just boggles my mind. Here are vendors who are making good on their word and they are getting beat up over it. I'm glad I chose not to try and offer a discount. There's nothing like leaving a good deed unpunished.

Frankly, I think all of you who complained about the Semroc email ought to apologize to the vendor. The vendor is doing exactly what he is supposed to do, and you are giving him grief over it. Kind of takes away from the warm fuzzy feeling I had from the success of the SRN raffle.

Tony.

Reply to
thuet

NOT SPAM

Many of the vendors who donated ALSO signed on for a 10% offer to the fliers who bought tickets as an extra thank you...... I am one of the vendors..... the final list went out a week or so ago..... I intend to also send out a ONE TIME thank you to the rocketeers who made this effort a success. You may user opt IN or OUT of my list at

. My email list is not shared with anyone for any reason.....

How about the RMR rocketeers get to choose what they want 10% OR MORE off on....... Many of my items are more than 10% off already... I'll increase the discount a bit as needed......

1- MOTORS AMW / CTI / Ellis Mountain or Aerotech 2-HARDWARE AMW / CTI or DR ROCKET 3-LOC KITS 4-PML KITS 5-PER KITS

Vote NOW...... I'll check back then create / send out the offer..........

Bobby B NAR 79350 L2

bobbyb

Thanks for the opportunity, Bobby. I vote for motors and hardware! (ya can't do the one without the other, can you?) :)

steve

Reply to
system user