Schlage/Primus pinning help

I work as the maintenece guy for a three school district and was recently sent to a 3 day Master Keying class. The class was presented by IR/Safety and Security (Schlage). Bruce ? (bad with names) did the training.

Although I learned alot we spent almost no time on actual pinning. Day one was about the new D-series locks and the remaining 2 days explained the process of master keying for large facilities.

I have 6 new portable classrooms that are going to need to be keyed in the next week. We use Shlage/Primus cylinders.

OK, this is where I need help big time. If, for example my keying schedual or KBA calls for a key cut of : 434964 how would I do the actual pinning to correspond to this key cut. The cylinders should already have the side bitting although we did discuss that in detail.

I would much appreciate any help or any links that would explain this. When Bruce went over this with me during lunch I thought it so easy I only scratched a few useless notes-I don't do this every day so use it or lose it!

Reply to
huntedbyafreak

the cuts listed are from the handle in to the point..thats the normal way of listing.. but, you probably got a master key as well, which alters things..

you need a book or something for 'hands on reference', and i cannot (cause i dont KNOW of one) list any that you could get, easily --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

sounds like in a battle of wits you are an unarmed man. you better focus or you'll find yourself looking for a job.

Reply to
billb

Easy. Take all of the keys you need to fit the lock and bring them and the lock to your local locksmith. If you spent 3 days in training and still are asking the question you are real likely to screw up and then it will be real expensive to fix.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

<snip> .................................the remaining 2 days
<snip>

Sounds like the class was at the very least a waste of time. A class that purports to teach master keying for two days and leaves the student without a clue how to make a MK and CK operate the lock is useless. I would ask for my money back.

Telling you how to make that 434964 key operate is very simple. The first 4 is at the bow or handle end of the key and the last 4 is at the tip. Pull like numbered bottom pins from your kit and insert them into corresponding pin chambers in the plug. That will make it work.

However, that probably isn't going to help you since the class was for MK'ing, you obviously have a MK that must work also. Can't help you there as I don't know your MK combination and you certainly shouldn't post it here for the world to see or email it to anyone since they could make one and rob your schools.

I would suggest that you contact the Associated Locksmiths of America (ALOA) and ask them to sell you a book on Master Keying, they have three different ones that they sell. You likely have a week or so before school starts when you have it working, good luck. BBE.

Reply to
Billy B. Edwards Jr.

schedual or KBA calls for a key cut of : 434964 how would I do the actual pinning to correspond to this key cut. The cylinders should already have the side bitting although we did discuss that in detail.

When Bruce went over this with me during lunch I thought it so easy I only scratched a few useless notes-I don't do this every day so use it or lose it!

I have taken the same class from IR ,and although a very comprehensive class on master keying it doesn't cover actual pinning the locks in any great detail.

Try this:

Lets assume you have a master key of 274725 and a change key of 816301

2 7 4 7 2 5 Master 8 1 6 3 0 1 Change

The object here is to make BOTH keys work the lock:

Take each column ( pin chamber ) and teat it individually.

In the first column you have a 8 cut and a 2 cut. In order for the 2 cut to work you MUST have a #2 pin . In order for the 8 cut to work also you MUST have a pin stack that adds up to 8.

So you put in a # 2 bottom pin and find the difference between 8 and 2 (

8-2) which = #6 for the "master pin" Now the key with #8 cut and the key with the #2 cut will both operate the lock. (Assuming you have only a 1 pin lock)

Continue the same process with the rest of the chambers.

Another way to look at this is subtract the Absolute value of the Master Key and the Absolute Value of the Change Key again you get 6.

So to make this simple : take the lowest cut # > that will be the bottom pin , then subtract the highest cut value from the bottom pin # to get the master pin value.

2 7 4 7 2 5 Master 8 1 6 3 0 1 Change

------------------

6 6 2 4 2 4 Master pins 2 1 4 3 0 1 Bottom pins

I hope this helps, spend some time pinning locks and try different combinations.

Reply to
Keyman55

Sounds like your school district sent you to the training because you are going to become their new "lock guy"... I would go to your boss and tell him/her that you thought the training was more theory and less actual practice... Explain that the training you attended wasn't enough and you still don't feel comfortable masterkeying locks for the school system...

Pinning Schlage/Primus locks is easy, it is done just like standard Schlage cylinders except you have to be careful when you take the cylinder apart, as there are the finger pins and sidebar that have to be held in place when you remove the key after removing the plug from the shell...

It sounds as if you need to purchase a book that will help you better understand masterkeying locks... I am surprised that none were available for purchase at the training class...

If you would like additional assistance you can e-mail me at the e-mail address in the header of this post and I can provide whatever help you need...

Evan, ~~formerly a maintenance man, now a college student...

Reply to
Evan

Thanks for all the replies. I have some old Schlage/Primus cylinders that I am going to practice on. No doubt more questions to follow....

Chris

Reply to
huntedbyafreak

I can't believe that a lock company (Schlage) would attempt to teach non trade people / handymen M.K.ing, therefore totally bypassing qualified locksmiths, and robbing them of work. Damned if I'd ever use Schlage locks again. !! (Stepping down from my soap box now)

Reply to
Steve Paris

Down boy!!-LOL-JK

It appears that this "class" was more an advertising project than actual training. But look where he came-to us.(patting the soapbox and stepping down.)

For TouchedByAFreak:

Schlage masterkeyeing essentials:

I do not claim to be an expert at masterkeying.I have created some small systems for landlords.

Here is what I did on the first system I made. I determined a masterkey bitting. I did not masterkey all the cylinders-small system with 12-13 locks. I determined a maximum range for each pinstack-to allow for other systems using the same keyway. I determined how many locks there were to be keyed and allowed for expansion.(reserved bittings) I took index cards and wrote the change key bitting and the masterkey bitting on each card-one card for every lock. I assigned a number for each change key example:AK-1,AK-2,AK-3....(Can't wait till it gets to 47-fun one for guys at the hardware store-"Hey, can you make an AK-47 for me?") I then went through the stack of cards comparing the bitting and making sure none were cross-keyed.(change keys that would open more than one lock. I also made sure that the differences between change keys were in more than one pinstack.

You might find some other information on the IR site. Hope this helps in some way. Later, goma.

Reply to
goma865

I meant "HuntedByaFreak-Damn-hope he don't find you.

Reply to
goma865