Schlage top pins

When pinning Schlage locks, what are the rules for when to use #1 (.235), #2 (.200), or #3 (.165) top pins?

Since the Schlage keying kit (40-132) only comes with #3 top pins, it would seem that this is the only one they think you need. But if this is true, why would they make the other two?

Richard

Reply to
Richard

The 40-132 is a retail kit for b-series and others.It is not made for master keying, in which you might use the different size top pins. The 40-133 "Home Secure" kit should have all three sizes. I have a kit made by specialty products for OEM Schlage, but can't think of the number right now.

goma.

Reply to
goma865

Two possible reasons:

  1. In machine assembled cylinders, levels 3-9 only are used since the shorter 0-2 pins are too short for the automation device. Hence one size of upper pin can cover the range.

  1. Using varying length drivers to keep the pin stack height fairly constant enhances pick resistance and may make bumping a bit more tricky. Hence they may be used for masterkeying and other special situations.

Reply to
peterwn

I found the factory Schlage cylinders are loaded with #3 as well.

Going back into the topic of bump resistance, I use the following guide for top pin drivers:

#1 = .235 is used for 0,1,2 combined pin height #2 = .200 is used for 3,4,5 combined pin height #3 - .165 is used for 6,7,8,9 combined pin height

Some mfgs offer serrated, spool and mushroom top pins to help make picking and bumping cylinders more difficult. For standard Schlage cylinders (no sidebar) I drop in 2 of these (the serrated pins make shimming real fun later...)

Regards, David

Reply to
BogusID

drop the first 4 in- as LONG AS you leave ONE regular top pin, you are in pretty good shape

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Specialty Products Mfg. Kit No. SCH-115

It has all three sizes of top pins. Some extra bins.

goma.

Reply to
goma865