New Schlage F Series Pins, Springs, Caps?

According to the article in Locksmith Ledger, the new Schlage F series uses a compressible cylinder. The springs and top pins used with older F series cylinders won't work in the new one and it recommended removing the spring cap (ala Kwikset) to rekey. They also said that Schlage recommends replacing the cap with a new one each time it's removed.

I called LAB and they said they would not be selling the new pins to public, including to the trade. I called Schlage and was told that the new topT-pin, T-pin springs and spring cap were not available and would not be available until some time after the first of the new year. Clark Security Products told me the same thing. Intermountain said there would be a 4-6 week wait for them, giving me the stock numbers and prices:

top pin f506-451 $9.80 per 100 springs f506-453 $8.40 per 100 caps f506-452 $21.00 per 100

$9 for 100 driver pins? Seems excessive, as does the price for the springs and caps.

As luck would have it, one of the F series keyed entry sets I just got for a customer is one of the new ones. It would be nice to have a replacement driver pin or spring in case I manage to lose one.

I saw a kit of these new top pins, springs and caps on eBay the other day so they must be out there somewhere.

Anyone know where the new pins, springs and caps are available?

Skip

Reply to
Skip

I saw a flyer about that at my locksmith distrib. Schlage sure has gone from good to crap in the last few years. The cylinders look just about like the taiwan junk I keep throwing into the trash.

I hope that Kwikset Titan doesn't go down hill like that, I'd have to go to Weslock or <gasp> Weiser.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

WEll, I would make a guess...

IF a customer brought one to me, needling it repinned (I really don't sell HOUSE grade locks at all) and it WAS one of them, I would VERY politely say I would be HAPPY to repin it, but it will be some time NEXT summer maybe before the factory sells parts so I CAN repin it, and in the mean time, would suggest they return it to the store where they bought it. If the 'borg' get ENOUGH returned, then maybe Schlage would get a clue, and fix the problem.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Last week I forwarded this message to our IR rep. I just received a fax from him. Here's a quote from the fax re. the new Compressible Cylinders used in the F series Schlage locksets. "...Apparently there is a little bit of misunderstanding as to how this product will rekey. While the cap can be removed for rekeying, the recommended method is with a follower. These cylinders can be fully integrated into masterkey systems, and can be construction keyed. A kit with the caps, top pins and springs for these cylinders is available to the wholesaler at this time with a list price of $33.50...."

Best regards, Lou

Reply to
Grrly girl

Lou,

I talked to Schlage again this morning and was told and they didn't know when the pins/springs will be available. They weren't happy to hear that I'd be returning the new F series entry sets I have and will be getting another brand because I'm not about to sell/install something I cant service. I put a call into the local Schlage rep and am waiting for a call back.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't overly concerned with the cap but with the pins and springs. I can't find any wholesalers who actually have the kit or components and are saying up to 8 weeks for any of it. If you have the name of a supplier that actually has them I'd be happy to hear who they are.

Thanks again,

Skip

Reply to
Skip

Skip, I've forwarded this message to my rep. I'll let you know if I learn anything different from your info. Lou

local Schlage rep

supplier that actually

Reply to
Grrly girl

My IR guy says these folks have them in stock. (He just spoke to them to verify the availability.) He said they have three branches, all three have them. Here's info on one branch. Good luck! Lou

Top Notch Homesdale, PA

800-233-4210
Reply to
Grrly girl

I've told all my customers the last few days that Schlage should be avoided

Reply to
Glen Cooper

Hi Folks,

I've not seen anything about the new F series. I've looked at the IR website and see no mention. Can someone give a brief description of the change?

Did they fix any of the weaknesses of the F series?

Thanks

Daniel

Reply to
dbs__usenet

The knob is now one piece, no collar. The cylinder has top pins that aren't interchangable with the old F series pins and neigher are the springs. The cylinder has a floating spring cap which has to be compressed to reinsert the cylinder into the knob. Tell you the truth, the setup looks pretty cheesey.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

Would you like to share which folks have them in stock?

Thanks,

Skip

Reply to
Skip

I haven't tried to call. My IR guy called me with this info. He assured me they have the kit in stock at all three branches. I've never had any dealings with Top Notch. I'm guessing the toll free number will have locations and directions to their sites. Lou

Reply to
Grrly girl

Thanks for the info. Had I opened both eyes I would have seen the Top Notch info.

Skip

Reply to
Skip

Thanks for the info. I've been behind in my reading, so I was not too suprised to see the new F series on page 50 of the November Locksmith ledger.

What I don't see is a particular benefit to this change. There are some that will like the removable pin chamber covers, but the combination of pot metal and less bearing surface in the upper pins makes me think that they will wear out quickly. The fact that the spring will actually protrude into the plug (when a short bottom pin is used) sounds like an invitation to jamb.

The LL article seemed to say that the old style cylinder will not be available for the F series, and that all replacement parts will be the new style. It looks like the brass cylinders will be available for the rest of the schlage line.

Can the existing master wafers be used? It looks like they would still work.

Daniel

Reply to
dbs__usenet