Exploding Schlage F-51N

A couple weeks ago, I tried one of the new Schlage. With the one piece external knob, and the new funky spring cover. Didn't like them at all. What in heck were they thinking? They discontinued a perfectly good knob lock design, and saved ten cents on the one piece knob.

What brand do you guys like? I went back to Kwikset.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I made up a bump key for those according to toools somewhat modified design recomendations a couple days ago. I bumped a brand new one open in 32 seconds. The next try it was 17 seconds and the next 22 seconds. After that no try took longer than 25 seconds and I had one that took only 6. Do you tell your customers the lock you are selling them can be opened in less than half a minute by a common tool anyone can buy or make?

Reply to
whothehellknowswho

LOLOLOL.. saw one of them as well...pretty stupid on their part.. you actually SELL THESE? oh well.. I dont sell ANY house locks..no profit margin in them.. (nor does my supplier stock them either) IF I got to recomend one, considering the crap house builders around here, tell them to go get a Titan..

Drilled a door few days ago for a dead bolt.. nothing behind the door frame ...typical.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

One of the fastest thread drifts in history. Less than 24 hours.

Shazaam. That's fast.

Yep, didn't you know that the builders use what's already on the frame. Which is typically two knob lock strikes.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

that too.. 'factory drill'.. never deep enough.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

nope, they wont spring here for a 2 drilled door, costs them an extra $10 BUT, they DO use prehung..and make the hole over an inch oversized, how fast can we slap the door up, and tack with few nails and consider it good. LOVE builders...NOT.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

They probably save a bit more than a dime a lock.

The one piece design uses the same knob for the inside and outside. As well as being easier to produce it is also easier to finish.

The advantage to the locksmith is you don't have to remove the lock from the door to rekey it and you can offer this as a cost saving option where you have other Schlage locks in the building. It is not really any big deal to service the cylinder, it is just different.

Of course I have many different views on things. The last shop I worked at everyone there had a stark raving fear of Almont padlocks, preferring the made in China Abus. I could re-key them as fast or faster, and I never had one fail in use, and I can't say the same about the Abus.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-&spamblock*-@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%uFNg.10081$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

it had already drifted.

sure I did...

Reply to
Key

They probably save a bit more than a dime a lock.

The one piece design uses the same knob for the inside and outside. As well as being easier to produce it is also easier to finish. CY: Oh, same in and out? I'd not noticed.

The advantage to the locksmith is you don't have to remove the lock from the door to rekey it CY: Yep, unlike Kwikkie.

and you can offer this as a cost saving option where you have other Schlage locks in the building. It is not really any big deal to service the cylinder, it is just different. CY: As for me, I don't like em.

Of course I have many different views on things. The last shop I worked at everyone there had a stark raving fear of Almont padlocks, preferring the made in China Abus. I could re-key them as fast or faster, and I never had one fail in use, and I can't say the same about the Abus. CY: Glad the worked fo ryou.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You don't have to remove a Kwikset KIK lock from the door to rekey it. You can pull the cylinder with the knob on the door and for that matter locked.

Reply to
Tim Mathews

If you want to be a butcher.

Reply to