Problem with Schlage lockset

Hi. I have recently developed a problem with a couple of Schlage locksets on my external doors. The spring loaded latch will not automatically retract when the door is being closed. I have taken it apart and do not see anything obviously wrong.

My door is equipped with a separate double cylinder deadbolt and the residential knob/lever set. The round keyed knob is on the outside, and the lever handle is on the inside. The lever handle is not keyed, but has the small piece you turn to lock/unlock the door.

When you try to close the door, the latch piece does not retract and the door will not close. You have to turn the knob/lever to get the latch to retract, in order to close the door. ( If you try to push the latch piece manually, it will not retract)

Any suggestions for troubleshooting ?

Thanks.

Reply to
Nosmo King

assuming its the normal house grade.. you got 2 pieces sticking out, the big part of the bolt and the little one that rides along the flat face of the big one? is the little bolt part present? If NOT, replace the latch.. and if it IS, and you cannot push on the large part of the latch and push it in, with door open, replace the latch.. ASSUMING the rest of the lock is in good shape,. take it along with you to whoever sells Schlage in your area.. to make certain of the length of backset and the shape you need..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

You should be able to lock and unlock the door easily from the outside with your key. If this does not work, the tailpiece may be incorrectly installed.-That is if you just installed-or had it done.

goma.

Reply to
goma865

If you are going to post a message to multiple newsgroups use crossposting.

bud--

Reply to
Bud--

I usually do, but forgot about the this ng, when I posted to alt.home.repair.

Thanks for reading both. :-)

Reply to
Nosmo King

The latch is bad. Replace it.

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML, CJS

First off -- I suggest that you quickly learn how to communicate in writing, or your business will fail quickly... A business is only truly able to achieve success when it can land major clients and have "steady" business... Unless you want to be a bottom feeder and go from car opening to car opening or rekey nothing other than residential locks...

Secondly -- the Foley Belsaw course and others like it that are correspondence courses do nothing than teach you the absolute basics on residential locks and some automotive... There are only a small handful of "real" locksmithing schools that can actually teach you more than the minimum you need to become "certified" -- earning a certificate does not in and of itself magically become a "professional credential"... You must work to demonstrate your knowledge and obtain industry recognition through the ALOA by passing its tests that ensure a standard level of professional knowledge before certification... It would not hurt to also become "factory certified" by as many hardware manufacturers as you possibly can... Once you have several of those under your belt, you have BEGUN to build your "professional credentials" and can be taken seriously...

That is unless your goal is to play at locksmithing only cutting keys, opening car doors, and rekeying houses until you figure out there is much more to locksmithing than you thought there was...

Reply to
Evan

Dear Goma, That's totally not what the OP asked.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Say What!!!!!!!???

Nosmo King Dec 30 2005, 6:44 pm : Any suggestions for troubleshooting ?

goma865 Dec 30 2005, 9:46 pm :

You should be able to lock and unlock the door easily from the outside

with your key. If this does not work, the tailpiece may be incorrectly installed.-That

is if you just installed-or had it done.

Reply to
goma865

ehh, its a commercial, it COULD happen.. in an odd situation.. a 'slight mis install of a certain area.. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

ehh, its a commercial, it COULD happen.. in an odd situation.. a 'slight mis install of a certain area.. --Shiva--

Again????? Now You???? Say what!!!!!?????? Have either of you n*****ts read the OP??????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The OP Clearly states this is residential!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You guys are letting the trolls get to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nosmo King Dec 30 2005, 6:44 pm :(and I quote) My door is equipped with a separate double cylinder deadbolt and the residential knob/lever set. The round keyed knob is on the outside, and the lever handle is on the inside. The lever handle is not keyed, but has the small piece you turn to lock/unlock the door.(and I unquote).

Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goma.

Reply to
goma865

hey, I GOT A HEAD COLD/sinus infection, and was discussing a A80.. thought it was the same thread..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Okay,Okay. HeadCold-eegads. Take yer meds and stay out of the cold-do inside jobs-LOL

Later, goma.

Reply to
goma865

Evan,

I figured you had been on here long enough to spot a TROLL....

Leon

Evan wrote:

Reply to
Leon Rowell

Had a couple fellows stop by today and want a couple keys to Craftsman tool box locks. Miserable. They were only single sided wafer keys, but it took near to forever to sight read and cut the keys. Used a bunch of key blanks. Of course, stamped together so I can't just sight the wafers on the shearline.

And busy cold and raining while I'm working in the back of the van.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

dont take this wrong.. impression them.. even the DOUBLE sided keys are actually one sided locks --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Yes, it was tempting to impression. But I've got the pavlovian thing where when I sight read and cut a key and it works.... feels so good.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

thing I hate about Sears is the sheer NUMBER of different blanks they have used over the years.. its like-ok who is the cheap supplier THIS year, and they are changed..LOL

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-#spamblock*-@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:l6cvf.71091$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

feels better when ya sight read and hand file the key, stick it in and it turnes the first time.

Reply to
Key