The best training course?

There are some words on this topic in the FAQ document.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

Hi everyone,

I've lurked here long enough to catch the conversation on not hiring a nobody off the street lacking credentials, so the question becomes:

Who offers the best correspondence course? Best in terms of, most likely to be received well by professionals already out there? And why? Price, quality of training, and comprehensiveness of training are all factors to be weighed and judged, yes?

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck M.

I am reminded of a story.. a man wanted a job as a carpenter.. and heard that a certain individual was hiring..and went to see him as he was working..

the old man, asked the guy to hold some nails for him as they talked, and they talked about EVERYTHING but carpentry..

the old man asked for the nails back, and said I believe you are hired.. I will give you a chance at it..

the guy wanting the job said HOW do you know I ca do carpentry- you never asked a question?

the old man said.. look at the nails you handed back to me.. and opened his hand.. all the heads were turned to the same end..and the guy did it without thinking.. he showed unconsciously, he was indeed a carpenter..

MY advice is if you do NOT have a good interest in mechanical areas..then, look at other occupations.. I have 2 towns near me, BOTH big enough to support a full time locksmith, and neither can keep one..There has been too many 'read the ad, make a ton of money with this home study course' come in, and fall flat on their face QUICKLY, and close.. they looked at it as 'take this course' look at me now I ARE ONE!. and lose their shirt..not realizing the intense mechanical background (and a LOT of common sense in some areas) needed --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

I took one of those courses in 1995. Can't even remember the name of it. I did not have the idea of "Now I completed the course-no I am one." As a matter of fact, I was insecure about even being called "a locksmith". It was stated in the notes of the course I took that the best way was to get in at entry level in a shop.

A local wanted 800.00 up front and told me that within 6 weeks of me paying him, I would be able to run my own business. Forget that.

I've been in business officially for 3 years now, but did alot on the side since 95.

I also had a machine tool course at a state college, and majored in machine shop and wood shop in high school. I've made alot of my own tools, and I don't fall for "Opens every lock" and "this book is always right".

I would suggest Lockmasters, as that is one that a retired locksmith told me about years ago.

I hope to have a course from there in May of this year.

There was a guy here locally who took the FB course and got started. I called him one day about some blanks for padlocks-he said he did'nt mess with padlocks at all. All he did (And all he wanted to do)was open cars and copy keys. He did'nt last long. He took the 1000.00 he made for the year and went to an Angels game-LOL Then closed up when he got back.

good luck, goma.

Reply to
goma865

^ I meant May of next year-LOL

Lockmasters:

goma.

Reply to
goma865

last one i heard about, 15 miles away, spent 5 hours trying to figure out how to get a door knob OFF the handleset..he couldn't find the little spot to push the pin in.. the sun wasn't shining..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

I had one like that-but did'nt take me 5 hours.I had the key and knew where the retainer was.Could not budge it. Totally corroded on. I ended up taking the panic bar off. Figured out later I could have tapped it with a punch-You learn.

goma.

Reply to
goma865

seen that as well..

how about a BRAND NEW installation.. 2 months old and ALREADY pretty well corroded.. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

let me guess-US Lock???

This one had been on for a few years.

Reply to
goma865

THERE is a mailing list I WISH i could get OFF of..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Want to see a blank look? Find a Foley Belsaw graduate. Ask if he's certified. Big smile. "Yep, I be a Sertifeyed Locksmith". And then ask "certified, meaning what?" Then just enjoy the blank look.

The usual answer is "well, I don't know, but they do it right through the course".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon