Schlage D-Lever questions

I've done minor lockwork before including repining on (my) cheap residential knobs & picking discarded locks for parts so I was not intimidated when I found two D70PD Rhodes 626 locksets at the local swap meet with no keys. I had no idea what they were when I got them, only that they looked nice, seemed complete, & were inexpensive.

What I found: It turns out the no-key problem was easy as both still had construction keying with the 3 pin key-stub still in the plug. The latch has "Schlage" "Ff" stamped in it. The inner "housing" (cover) has "M-40" stamped into it. "Inside Spring Cage" has "C604-390" cast in. "Outside Spring Cage" has "C604-391" cast in.

A few questions:

1) Date/Mfr Code: All four of the "spring cages" & both latches have the same code stamped on the inside - "Made in Mexico *04/03/SAU". Got any idea of the meaning (OK - I know "Made in Mexico" haha)? I am asking because the D-Lever Service Manual pdf from Schlage.com seems to show a new & somewhat redesigned lock.

1a) Anyone know of an online pdf for D-Levers that is older that the "new" 12/20/03 version available at Schlage.com?

2) Plug: The little triangle on the front & the "check pin" makes it a Everest keyway. The Dxxx on the back means it is a "end user restricted keyway". No way to get blanks huh?

This leads to -

3) I can replace the cylinder with a standard C or whatever keyway by buying the whole cylinder (plug, hull, pins, springs & keys) as a drop in replacement. Could I also just get a C plug & use the same hull repining it myself or does a plug & hull need to be matched? & about missing parts -

4) One lock is missing the inside "lever driver" & its satin chrome cover. Where can I find the p/n of these two pieces? Would a locksmith possibly have one from a older/defective lock? Schlage OEM parts maybe (probably $$$)? Maybe call around or go visit a few locksmiths & ask? Ideas/source? It probably got lost because the inside levers were not locked onto the spindles. This is why I was asking about the date code earlier - to get an idea of how long this design was manufactured. Seems any "inside lever driver" from this same design should interchange?

Any corrections to my terminology or ideas is welcomed. Before I got these locks I never even knew that the Schlage on my front door was a F series. Searching Schlage.com, Google.com & lots of lock/supplier web sites I have gained the information I used to ask these questions.

and - alt.locksmithing seems to be a OK place compared to most!

Thanks - Kim :)

Reply to
Kim Clay

Why go to that much trouble. The whole knob cyl. lists for $32, or you could use an ILCO replacement cyl that lists for less than $20.

If it's discontinued, your best bet is to find a locksmith (or institution) that uses a lot of schlage levers. They probably have a parts box or bin. If you have a problem after you give that a good effort, email me a pic and I'll see what I can do.

BTW - You could probably pick up a _used_ cyl, too.

Or outside AFAIK

Bob

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

Thanks for the options/ideas. Probably can get everything I need from a locksmith that services these regularly as used parts - maybe.

I will try carrying around the "lever driver" part I need instead of or with the part #. Makes identification easier as inside & outside are different. I had to look again just before I posted the orig message to be sure! Inside is gold in color & has four cut-outs; outside is gray in color - has two cut-outs for spring cage & two lever stops cast in. Both use the same satin chrome cover.

Kim

Reply to
Kim Clay