Schlage Primus

I currently work for a movie theatre who is also about to employ me to do some part time locksmith work. I am going to install a MK system for all of the interior doors which is no problem. They also asked me if I could do a combo change on the exterior doors. They are Schlage Primus restricted keyways. I explained to them about the patent and how I don't have key stock that would work. My question is, how do you 'transfer' this service from the previous locksmith to me. Do I and the District Manager for our company need to call Schlage? Do we need to talk to the previous Locksmith? Will I need to change the fingers in the Primus cylinder and start with a new patent series? Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

Reply to
Erik

I'm in the UK so don't know if it applies to you. The owner of the premises should have some documentation about their lock system, not necessarily a locksmith. If I was doing the job I would need written authorisation from them in order to to get keys or extend their system. In many cases they have not got a clue so it's down to phoning various companies to find out who has the copyright to that particular system. Sometimes it's easier to change the whole system, at a cost of course :0) Regards Very possibly different in other parts of the world

Reply to
Scabbydug

A Schlage Primus System Cannot be transferred. The cylinders will have to be replaced.

Good Luck

Reply to
ArrowLockSvc

A Schlage Primus System Cannot be transferred. The cylinders will have to be replaced.

Good Luck

Reply to
ArrowLockSvc

The theatre has discontinued using the locksmith that originally installed the Primus system. However, they have not tried to have the Primus locks changed since then (it's only been 3 months since they dropped this locksmith). Are they going to have to replace the system anyway whether they go to me or another locksmith in town? Becuase if they are, it will be a much easier sell.

Also, can I just call Schlage and order a new system, or are there other processes involved. Is Schlage going to want to keep all of the company information for the theatre on hand or is that my responsibility? Whats the whole process of that?

Reply to
Erik

call your locksmith WHOLESALER.. you need some information that I will not post on an open forum, that they might be able to help you with.. you might be surprised.. I was totally.. and I got a bank that decided to go to that system on CERTAIN doors and after talking to my source was totally amazed at a couple of things.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Reply to
Erik

doubt it..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

LOL

Reply to
Steve

You don't say specifically what Primus system you are dealing with and you need to know. Some e.g. level one are nothing but standard Primus blanks, not truely a restricted system. There are also factory/end user controlled blank systems e.g. level 3 or 4 and dealer controlled systems e.g. level

  1. If it's the last one you and the customer are dependent on the dealer who has the right to use that blank, there is nothing Schlage will do, the dealer can cut the keys if they want to but they probably won't (and certainly shouldn't) give you any blanks. If it's level 1,3 or 4, you are a locksmith, and have the customers cooperation you should not have any real problem. Level 3 or 4 will require factory end user i.e. your customer identity verification. Contact Schlage directly and have your customer available to give them any needed information.
Reply to
Steve

Much depends upon your locale and the security level assigned to the Primus system being used.

It sounds like a 1+ assigned to the locksmith was used...

Level 1 - end user Level 1+ - wholesaler/locksmith exclusive Level 2 - dealer exclusive Level 3u - regional specific, end user, no high purchase requirement Level 3n - regional exclusive, end user, huge purchase requirement Level 3u - timezone exclusive, end user Level 4n - natinal exclusive, end user Level 7 - Primus Everest, wholesaler/locksmith exclusive Level 8 - Primus Everest, dealer exclusive Level 9 - Primus Everest, end user specific based on region, zipcode or national level depdnding upon the purchase level

No, Foley-Belsaw only support the basics.

As Shive suggests, you will likely need to go through a local wholesaler or distributor to replace the system, which has at least 4 to 6 weeks lead time for anything above 1+.

Check out the Schlage website for more details...

Bogus

Ok, it all makes a lot more sense now. All it used to require to get a key cut for our system was to walk up to the local locksmith we used with the key and present some I.D. The locksmith would call our District Manager and ask if so and so was authorized to have a key made. Since the answer was yes the Locksmith went and cut a key as quick as any regular key. So I am assuming this is a Level 1. You're right it doesn't sound like its truely "restricted" but at least I.D. has to be produced and verifyed before someone can have the key duplicated. I am sure that level 1 will suffice for our application.

Reply to
Erik

Basic level one uses a standard primus key blank with a standard side biting that ANY primus stocking locksmith or dealer can get and cut. These often show up on ebay etc and should not be thought of as restricted. The keyword here is "ANY" dealer/locksmith. If you had to go to a specific locksmith to get the keys then it is a level 2 or possibly a level 1+, and I'm not positive that level 1+ is restricted to only one dealer or not, somebody else said it is. In a nutshell if it's plain level 1, level 1 express, or level 3 or 4 the end user should be able to get blanks with identity verification. If it's level 2 or possibly level 1+ you have to have the cooperation of the original dealer/locksmith or you will not be able to get blanks. The solution in that case is to have the original locksmith do the primus keying while you do the rest of the basic schlage keying or change the primus cylinders to somthing you can get blanks for.

You're right it doesn't sound like its

Reply to
Steve

Too bas you have Primus. I installed a re=ather large Primus system for a utility company here, and it's been nothing but headaches. UNlike Medeco, with the keys and keyway being designed too small to really utilize a sidebar properly, any small amout of debris really screws the pooch! You have to constantly flush them out with WD-40. Pain in the butt!

Reply to
rd

I am trying to figure out if we can just switch to a Medeco system, because you're right. Especially those exterior doors w/ Priums. I almost need a wrench to help use a key, even more so in the winter time. I need more Medeco info though. I posted a message asking for info on keyways. I need to know what keys are restricted, not restricted, and all of that. Thanks.

Reply to
Erik

you got enough bucks, you get your own keyway..used to be 10 grand for it.. no one for x miles around-couple of states distance CAN get that key? or if you got REAL big pockets, you get YOUR OWN.. keys come out of the factory, you dont even get to cut your own.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

these folks can probably give ya some info :-)

Key

I'm using power steering fluid in my engine, why am i having problems when i drive the car?

DUH, WD40 is one of the best contaminant attractants you could choose, not even for commercial hinges dude!

POXYLUBE dry film lubricant for exterior, LOCKEASE graphite spray for interior. Less is more...just a light spray and worka valid key to smooth the working surfaces.

You might have to give them an LPS1 or Locksavers bath first though!

Reply to
Bogus