Re: Master Key Questions

From: "Putyourspamhere" Subject: Re: Master Key Questions Date: Saturday, February 21, 2004 4:51 PM

" -- You don't think the same neighbor could have just (and more easily) disasymbled their own lock and made a key based on that? The Blaze article is questionable with regard to harm/good ratio but it has been blown well out or proportion. "

No I think that someone who doesn't take apart cylinders on a regular basis would be able to figure much of anything out from taking apart their lock's cylinder... All they would end up with is a handful of small parts... But now they have ideas and specific terms to google search for on the web and seek out sources for tools and supplies...

Evan the maintenance man

Reply to
Evan

As was clear in my previous posts, my views are similar to what Putyourspamhere says.

I don't think you are wrong in the direction of the effect, but I think that you are overestimating the size of it - i.e. I think you overestimate how hard it is to examine the contents of a cylinder, and then make it sound as if any dumbo can search, acquire tools and supplies and use them to "crack" the MK system.

One could even argue that Matt Blaze's article will enhance security (in the long run) - for now every locksmith (especially the readers of this news.group) can point out a well documented vulnerability of MK systems which don't have restricted keyways - and use it to urge customers to a better solution.

Reply to
Henry E Schaffer

The instructions for dissassembly are hardly difficult to find. It's simple even w/o a follower or any other specialized tool. I was dumping them one stack or part there of at a time in ice cube trays years ago as a kid before I ever heard of a follower or read a locksmithing text. Anyone incapable of dissasembling and figuring it out w/o a lock in hand is not going to be competent enough to file away and repeatedly retry a key to get it right either.

The Blaze paper is far from the only resource on defeating locks on the net.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Meant to say "with a lock in hand."

Reply to