Kwikset Modernization Kit

Could someone please advise where I can purchase a few Kwikset modernization kits...preferably in an Antique Brass finish. The package says "for use in converting mortise style locksets" and it contains two strike plates, two plates that cover the old holes, and a long narrow metal strip that fills the void left by the mortise lock.

My local Lowes store said they can only get a shiny brass finish if they were to special order it. I am looking to replace a few of them in my older house. I know this is a more expensive way of doing it, but I'm tired of the loose knobs and noisy workings of the mortise-style. One of the knobs had fallen off in the kids room recently and she was locked inside. With that said - I view these as a safety concern also.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Bryan

Reply to
Bryan R

Kwikset

finish. The package

contains two

long narrow

finish if they

them in my

it, but I'm

mortise-style. One of

was locked

also.

try checking your local locksmith shop. ask them for an Install-A-Lock Door Reinforcer made by MAG Security. it is a one pices deal that slides over the edge of the door (need to measure the thickness of the door) to cover to older holes. can also be bought at link bekow.

has a length of 76 characters and resulted in the following TinyURL which has a length of 24 characters:

g'luck

Reply to
Key

I've installed ab unch of those Mag plates, and really like them.

Either one will take some chisel work to make it fit.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks for the info. In fact, I picked up one of them Mag reinforcers when I was at Lowes for

10-15 bucks in the antique brass that I like. That would really be the easiest and cheapest way to go. I talked to my local locksmith and he has the exact modernization kit that I need for $30. After doing a Google search I've found them cheaper than that, but by the time you figure shipping & handling, I just as well forgive his markup and buy local. Thanks again.

Storm>

Reply to
Bryan R

was at Lowes for