those keyed Master combination locks

anybody know where i can buy a blank for those? I found one and want to impression a key.

thanks.

Reply to
billb

It depends on the keyway...

Many of them are M3 (ilco 1092VR) but some are a 4 pin varation of: M17 (ilco 1092C) which can be cut down and used...

Evan, ~~formerly a maintenance man, now a college student...

Reply to
Evan

Master has the blanks and controls them pretty close..and wont sell UNLESS you are the 'owner of record' --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

that's what i figured

..and wont

and even then they are probably precut right?

Reply to
billb

There are several keyways I've seen. Check with your locksmith wholesale house.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

where can they be bought?

Reply to
billb

That is NOT true...

OEM blanks maybe, but ilco makes blanks that work perfectly...

Those little override keys were one of the most popular things that every administrator at the school I used to work for would want... Or a new coach for the atheletic padlocks... Most of the ones I saw (V36, V56, V63, V68) were M3 blanks...

Evan, ~~formerly a maintenance man, now a college student...

Reply to
Evan

yes, they get shipped to the original owner --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

but if the blank is off patent, then anybody can make and sell it i suppose.

"no honor among thieves"

Reply to
billb

Ottawa Canada

Hi Bill:

Rather than going to the trouble of impressioning a control key for your Master Combination Lock, which will let you change the combination from the several that are built into it, and get the lock openly without the combination, just phone up Master Lock in Milwaukee, WI and ask them to sell you a control key, or visit your local Master Lock distributor and buy a control key off of them.

You will probably need your lock's serial number, stamped on its body, when dealing with Master Lock, as while one control key usually fits several hundred locks, it may or may not work every Master Lock combination lock with key override ever built.

Please let us know your success in obtaining a ready-made control key for your lock.

Brian

"billb" ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) writes:

Reply to
Brian K.Lingard

Brian:

The padlocks with the keyed override do not have the capacity to change combinations... I think you have confused the key bypass that padlocks have with the control function that the built-in locks have...

Second -- I haven't run into combo locks with the same override key number in my area -- I think that the factory works hard not to flood the market in any given area with too many repeats of the same key code for these kinds of products...

Having had the experience of ordering a key for built-in lockers once (the only one was lost) the school had to provide information supplied on the original sales invoice in order to obtain a replacement key...

There are no code series for those kinds of keys available as far as I have been told -- the only way to obtain replacement keys is via the factory... I have been told that without the particular information Master Lock requires it is easier to order more locks with that code number and request additional keys at that time...

Evan, ~~formerly a maintenance man, now a college student...

Reply to
Evan

Only bypass I have is M17-1092C, And I'm thinking that is for built-ins. Not sure 100% though.

goma.

Reply to
goma865

Ottawa Canada

Hi Evan:

Yes I was confusing the key override function of Master padlocks as used say in rec centers and such, with the key override and combination changing functions of the Master built-in locks, commonly used on book cabinets and small lockers in universities and colleges.

What I have seen of the built-in locks is they are usuallty stronger than the sheet steel locker door they are attached to.

Have seen a number of book cabinet doors belt at a 45 degree angle by someone that wanted in real quick, probably in the dead of night.

Back in my university days, some of us students found people commonly put their combination on the back of the card with their name on it on the door of the locker!

We also found several lockers with locks so worn even my grandmother could have manipulated it open without the combination.

Brian

Reply to
Brian K.Lingard