How did they break in? PLEASE HELP!

I had an outdoor shed and I made sure no one else had the key--I even rekeyed it and they changed some of the actual pins. It was a deadbolt.

I was gone ten minutes. In that time my neighbors were able to break in. I saw no signs of forced entry. When I came back the door was unlocked (possibly they could not relock it).

So how did they get past my deadbolt? It was qwickset. Was ten minutes time enough to pick it? It didn't look like they had removed anything that would allow them to pry the lock open, either. The deadbolt only goes a little under one inch, though because there area for it to go is not large enough. But it normally can't open. I don't know how they did it.

Please help.

Reply to
Korben Dallas

the deadbolt MUST be fully extended.. or, does the door open out? thats all you get for hints --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

It wasn't DEADlocked. The bolt has to be fully extended to be deadlocked. Try it with the door open to see what I mean.

Reply to
Me

It wasn't DEADlocked. The bolt has to be fully extended to be deadlocked. Try it with the door open to see what I mean.

Reply to
Me

Ottawa Canada

When you live in a neighborhood crawling with thieves, you want a much better lock than a quickset deadbolt on your storage shed and house.

Try installing a Medeco deadbolt or other superior grade lock to slow down the thieves. A security camera and v.c.r. also work wonders on stopping thieves or at least letting you know who they are.

Brian

Me

( snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net) writes:

Reply to
Brian K.Lingard

You really think we can diagnose this over a typed news group post? You must think we are pretty capable people.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The door does open out. How does that enter into this?

Reply to
Korben Dallas

Does it have 'clever' hinges or 'dumb' hinges?

Reply to
Mike Easter

Without seeing the door I would say an outswinging door with a deadbolt installed improperly (i.e. it is not allowed to fully extend) was loided...

Some clever person came along and used a tool to slide the bolt back and open the door...

Drill a deeper hole in the door frame to allow the deadbolt to extend completely, or install a latch protector plate...

Whatever you choose to do, it sounds as if you should seek professional assistance with this project...

Evan, ~~formerly a maintenance man, now a college student...

Reply to
Evan

Reply to
Korben Dallas

loided? the dictionary doesn't find that word.

Reply to
Korben Dallas

read between the lines and just call it by-passed...

Reply to
Key

Sheeesh .... 'Open the door', insert the key in the lock, now turn the key just enough so that the bolt only comes out about half way. Put your finger on the end of the bolt and push in. You have just discovered that the bolt will slide straight back into the latch hole. NOW .............. turn the key fully, so the bolt is at it's 'maximum extension, now try to push the bolt back in. It won't go in ... "right" ....... if it does, then the lock is faulty. SO............ maybe you need to drill out the hole in the door jamb so the lock bolt will extend FULLY into the hole and people can't push it in with a knife or whatever, and rob you. Hope this explains it better for you. :-))

Reply to
Steve Paris