Save Rocketry NOW...........What's next?

Things To Do An outline for a successful campaign
Step 1: Collect donations for the ad campaign Done! We collected over $80,000.00 in revenue for advertising. Thank you!
Frank Uroda is working out the details of the Mega Raffle. There are a zillion prizes that must be organized (did you see the list??? WOW!) Personalized tickets will be printed for the drawing. The raffle will be held in public, hopefully at a local launch by the first week of November.
Step 2: Do something good with the money Pat Gordzelik, Dan Stroud, and others are working with a production crew and an astronaut to produce a commercial that will air during the Rocket Challenge special on the Discovery Channel in November. All the spots will advertise the new www.flyrockets.com (no content yet) website. This site will be the gateway to all of rocketry. Thank you Andy Hancock for donating the domain name and the basic site design!
Brent Mcneely is working on the 1/3 page, full color ad that will be placed in Popular Mechanics magazine starting the first of the year. The ad will be submitted in just a week or two, but they work months in advance.
Greg Deputy and a group of volunteers will begin work on the www.flyrockets.com site. There will be several "calls for information" from clubs, vendors, etc. that will be needed for this site. We will use the www.saverocketrynow.org site to gather this information since it is already set up with secure forms. The forms will be reconfigured as needed. These "calls for information" will be announced on ROL, RMR, direct email, and other sites.
Step 3: Clean house, guests are coming over! This is where we need your help! The local and national club web sites need to be cleaned up and made "newbee friendly". In doing e-mailing to all the clubs, I found that 10% to 15% of the clubs listed on the TRA and NAR site have incorrect or outdated contact links. I suspect the same is true on other national group web sites. These should be corrected right away. The next step is to make sure your site is up to date and all the links work. Unclutter the pages. Get rid of any flashy (slow loading) icons, banners, etc. Grab the prospect interest with the front page. You may not get a second shot at it. Make the front page of your site welcoming and exciting. A small, cool rocket picture is worth a thousand words. Put your next launch date and info right on the front page too. Make is easy for a newbie to join. Don't just bury a "join" button somewhere on the front page but, actually "ask" the newbie to join. This is marketing 101. Make them feel welcome. Tell them the benefits of joining your club; IE, Great launch site, friendly helpful members, families and spectators welcome, waivers to xxxx feet, etc. Put any dirty laundry away in the back pages for the current members. Don't scare away the new prospects. When a new member does join, send his membership package right away. Send along a cover letter thanking him/her for joining. Ask him/her to attend the next club event, be it a meeting, launch, or even equipment clean-up. Tell them to bring a friend, kids, or spouse. They will feel more comfortable than just walking in alone. The people he/she brings may even join. This is all simple stuff that really works!
We have until November 9th to get our act together. Let's start today!
---Frank R Uroda
---Frank Rocketman Uroda

What is his email to get links and displays?

Frank, did you mean www.Flyrockets.org ?
Art

and
donating
placed
be
from
already
need
site,
Don't
the
is

No Art, we decided that the majority of the public are inclined to zero in on .com domains......(we've been thinkin about this real hard ;-))
Pat G
correct. .com is it everythig else is second best. period.
Always get the dot com if you can.
Chris Taylor http://www.nerys.com /

will
on

on
Kewl, you are correct on the .com zero in. I just asked as the .org has an empty page while the .com has a website their. your post said not content yet.
Art

will
Nope. flyrockets.com People are used to seeing .com
--

---Frank Rocketman Uroda

"Art Upton" < snipped-for-privacy@unverified.com> wrote in message
Is it me, or is http://www.flyrockets.com/ taken by Syonic Tech?
Also:
Anyone have an idea how many NAR/TRA members there are?
If I were you guys, I would try to talk to AIA about some of your ideas. They seem to be very interested in getting kids into Aerospace and other aspects of flight. As a kid who was in TARC, and will be going on to Aero/Mechanical Engineering I would say TARC has a HUGE impact. There are already kids launching rockets. In fact ~9 000 last year.
Now I think we need to jump at all the people who already launch rockets. I truly hope this works. I wonder though, what's the aim? Are we trying to recruit HP flyers? or just members? Adults, Kids, families?
I guess save rocketry now is just about getting some broadcasting time, but in my mind I think saving our hobby is going to need so much more than a television commercial. I don't mean to sound like I doubt your efforts. I would say that Estes putting the little NAR information cards in all their kits is the best thing that they have ever done. That's how I found out about rocketry some 8 years ago, and for the other half + of my life I've been obsessed as some say. What a ride it has been.
I'm blown away that 80k was raised. In such short notice! Congratulations.
Let's make an impact!
- Theo McD.
NAR #63494 JR

That's what I get. We need to look into this pronto before we try to go live with it.
Scott McCrate NAR 71680
They're loaning us the domain. The DNS changes are propagating now

About 4000 - 5000 each?
len.

TRA membership is down about 25% over the past 12-18 months, from 4K down to just over 3K. NAR membership as of NARAM was right around 5K.

down
organization
many
all
I would say that 1/2 of the flyers at a NEPRA launch are NAR/TRA members. AND, I would say that 90% of those are only members because of certification.

renewed.
clearing
would
-- Drake "Doc" Damerau www.rocketmaterials.org NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3 www.nepra.com Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Organized HPR puts us in the same position as organized RC. Both NAR/TRA and AMA clubs require membership to participate, making for closed sites. It's difficult for a lone rocketeer to do their own HPR launch, and there aren't that many independent launches out there. The cost of membership is worth the benefits of participation, or folks wouldn't join.

Which iswhy so few join or renew.

be
crew
site
the
and
on
links
second
feel
attend
comfortable
This
Great tips about improving local club websites! Here's a couple others from a guy who's stuck with dialup...
1. Don't put everything on the first page! I've seen some sites that have entire site all on one page, with a zillion photos.
2. Edit photos down to a reasonable size.
4. No sounds, at least on the main page! Takes too long to load the page, and if the user is at work or has someone sleeping nearby, it can be a problem.
5. If you absolutely have to have an animated gif, pick one small one and stop there.
6. Try to avoid using any scripts or other features that limit the site to only people who use a specific version of a specific browser.

from a

Unless your outside the CONUS... Your never STUCK with Dial Up.
http://www.directpc.com/home.asp
Tim Summers wrote:

Hmmm... it only works with Windows? What's up with that? Can't they implement these things in such a way that it just looks like a generic ethernet connection?
-dave w
ehh just plug it into a router.
unless it only has usb and not an ethernet out
Chris Taylor http://www.nerys.com /