motors to fit in a NCR phantom or Patriot don't seem to fit.

Hi guys, I acquired a built NCR phantom 4000. it must be a newer once since a red motor retaining ring of plastic seems to be made to fit a molded fin can.

the question is, an Aero_tech single use motor will not fit he MMT. an AT 29/40-120 will just barley fit in and requires a channel lock pliers to pull back out. a doctor rockets RMS 29/180/240 fits in real tight.

was NCR (by estes maybe) rockets a hard fit for AT motors, or was this one somehow shrunk?

wow, I also acquired an NCR Patriot as well, same problem but even a harder fit, humm.....

Art

Reply to
Art Upton

Yes. The NCR-by-estes tubing and motors were a hair smaller diameter than most other manufacturers' "29mm" size, and the AT single use motors are a little larger in diameter than the reloadable casings.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Yes.

You can peeel a layer of paper from the inside of the motor tube. Use a x-acto knife to start a spiral edge and twist it onto a pair of needlenose pliars. Repeat till proper size achieved.

Jerry

USR BT-11 is about $1.50. Buy a few.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

If you have not built the rocket yet, then scrap that odd-ball size motor tube and replace it with a standard 29MM motor tube. You'll probably have to tweak the ID of your centering rings with a Dremel to fit the new tube properly.

If the rocket is already built, you'll have to peel the ID of the motor tube. I think Bob Kaplow has some info on how to do that.

-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L1

Reply to
J.A. Michel

Hey Art,

I too bought a NCR Patriot thinking my Aerotech reloads would work. Nada, you have to buy NCR branded single shots to fit the stock kit.

Nada on that too. I used a 29mm motor tube, sanded out the plastic centering rings provided with the kit to fit and finished off the assembly with a custom motor retention system. Launched perfectly....until the recovery system failed. Opps, my bad...:)

Grant

Reply to
Grant Page

They were deliberately designed that way when Estes made them.

See my .sig article for instructions on how to retrofit fix your model.

Bob Kaplow