Wing fit

I have mentioned problems with wing fit- specifically the fillet match between fuselage and wing. The fuselage part of the fillet seems to have a thicker airfoil than the wing, making me wonder if the molded part relaxes its curve.

Got to thinking- wouldn't the part hold its fit better if there actually was a root rib molded into the wing? That is, top half of rib on top piece of wing, bottom half of rib on bottom piece. Wouldn't that hold the shape better than having no rib at the root end of wing-just skin, like so many kits today?

Or, is the problem that they are just not getting the same airfoil on wing and fuselage?

Reply to
Don Stauffer

...it's probably the same as in QC-ing a full scale aircraft - one team works on the wing, and another on the fuselage.

And neither of them talk to each other.

Reply to
Rufus

Don Stauffer wrote: : : Got to thinking- wouldn't the part hold its fit better if there actually : was a root rib molded into the wing? : Not certain it would help. You would be at the mercy of the mold having straight shoulders, or you would have a gap to fill where the wing/fuse joined.

Now, having a seperate airfoil section to glue in may help things, but I have seen "good ideas" not being followed up on mumerous kits, and "bad ideas" propagated.

Consider the Hase. 1/32 Storch. Why is this the only A/C kit (I don't build many...) where the upper wing has the complete aileron and flap? The lower wing follows the natural seam line of the aileron/flap gap along the wing. Result? The TE of the wing is nice and sharp. Other kits that do that? zero.

White plastic. DEFINITELY not a good idea. White styrene will hide a multitude of defects due to surface reflectivity, I suppose. And, I would think white plastic is pretty much indicitive of (near) virgin plastic, which should be somewhat more expensive. Yet, some companies insist on using it. Why?

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden