Any of you guys also getting mail bombed?

I have already had to go to the Earthlink Webmail site 3 times to delete enough bogus emails to freeup my account. Either I do that or every time I check mail wih Eudora it downloads 200 .exe attachments to my computer.

This is he worst I have seen it on Earthlinkj.

Looks like somebody is trying to take down he internet by overload.

And just think. If Microsoft simply set the Outlook Express prefs so that .exe attachments weren't automatically opened, very little of this idiocy would work.

But because most people have no idea what scripting is and how to turn it off, we end up flooded with spam.

This is why I have been a Mac user since 1984.

We may have a wacko leading Apple, but at least he is a benign wacko.

Bill Gates' megalomania will end by taking down the internet.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

This is he worst I have seen it on Earthlinkj.

Looks like somebody is trying to take down he internet by overload.

And just think. If Microsoft simply set the Outlook Express prefs so that .exe attachments weren't automatically opened, very little of this idiocy would work.

But because most people have no idea what scripting is and how to turn it off, we end up flooded with spam.

This is why I have been a Mac user since 1984.

We may have a wacko leading Apple, but at least he is a benign wacko.

Bill Gates' megalomania will end by taking down the internet.

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I been getting bombed also. Bill may have an inferior product, but he can't be responsible for other peoples actions. I've been adding the mail to my blocked sender list.

Richard

Reply to
AMW

This is the new virus being sent out. Just don't open the attachments and don't follow the instructions from what looks like Microsoft.

Jamie Arnold (W)

Your not alone. Been flushing a dozen bogus emails an hour since 10 last nite. My best defense has been a program called Mailwasher. Gives the user the ability to command the email server to delete and/or bounce mail before launching your email program. Stops a lot of needless downloading of mail that you would delete anyway.

This attack is rather wide spread so it will get noticed by law enforcement. Hope the knumbnut does time with a real friendly group of inmates at Butt Banger U.

Keep plugging

Jim Vrzal

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

Reply to
mawdeeb

Big waste of my time.

Reply to
Wayne Makowicki

Had so much when I opened it this morning that my isp told me to clean out my mailbox as it was nearly full. 90% of it bogus MS messages. I've got mailwasher also. It is the worst I've ever seen.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
Garrett Fulton

Mailwasher works well fo me, it's a free program that can be purchased.

The last couple of days have been a lot worse for fake MS and Undeliverable bounced notices.

WB ............

Reply to
Wild Bill

Yeah, 54 last night and 8 more this morning. All the "security patch". ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Been getting all the spam for microsoft patch now since last night. And a bunch of messages saying my mailbox exceeds quota!

Melinda Gates named Microsoft after Bill

Reply to
Beecrofter

I had over 300 yesterday, and about 200 (so far, it's 8:45 AM) today. :(

Nonsense, in 1984 this stuff was not around yet in such large quantity.

Steve Jobs is no more wacko than Billy Gates.

Actually, I kinda like him. My stock in Pixar has more than quadrupled since I have owned it.

Abrasha

Abrasha

The sender address is probably bogus, selected at random from the address book on the real culprit's machine.

So blocking the sender (a) doesn't block the person whose computer is infected, and (b) blocks email from some innocent bystander, who probably is not infected.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale

I seem to be getting 100+ of them per hour. It started yesterday afternoon in earnest.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale

This is so bad that it almost amounts to a "denial of service" attack. I am hoping that the severity of the problem will force the providers to find the culprit or devise a solution. Is this a reasonable expectation?

It it goes on to the point where we all have full mailboxes all the time, and have to look for the valid mail like needles in a haystack, we're cooked.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

News regarding "swen" virus:

David

Reply to
David Courtney

These people are vermin. They need to go. This is no longer a minor irritation, but largescale theft of the valuable time of millions of people. My understanding is that it is generally known who the perps are, and they are manageably few in number, say, 300 or so. We need a statute that contains a viable constitutionally-supportable definition of spam as theft of computer network services rather than purveying unwanted speech, and which provides for serious felony penalties for each and every infraction. As for overseas sources, again: these people are vermin, and they need to go. Sounds like a job for SEAL Team 6.....

Reply to
ratsmith

I would hope so, But I don;t hold out on any promises from any ISP. I often get spam from somewhere asking me to reverify my name, password and credit card number for my earthlink account however, and they act pretty quick on that. SO far they said they found and shut down these folks 5 times in two years. You would think a major or any ISP for that matter could invoke a filter for all this socalled MS Security Patch that comes through. Its common knowledge, MS does not send anything to you, unless you pay first!

So far yesterday I got over 320 emails, and today alone I am over that amount, and its in thepprocess right now of downloading 104 emails. My email program (PM Mail) is setup to filter out and delete such crap, but it still ties your email up while your waiting for it to do its job. Out of all the emails I received yesterday and today, there was only 3 that were not automatically deleted.

-- Visit my website:

foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove capital A from chipmAkr for correct email address

Reply to
Roy

I've had to delete many megabytes worth of this spam (MS security update/fake) in the past 24 hours. I use PINE, a linux-based mail reader so I'm not in danger of being infected, but DAMN this is annoying!

I think microsoft needs to work much harder on security. Personally I won't bash Bill Gates because I don't think he is a bad person. MS software leaves a lot to be desired, but Bill's philanthropic nature is commendable. Also with Boeing giving our state the finger lately, microsoft is helping our local economy and many of my friends that work there are among the few folks in IT that I know that still have jobs.

JLD

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler

I've been getting bombed too using Outlook (not Express) as my email program. A while back, though, I configured it to download only the headers (not message bodies) and turned off the preview feature. That makes the process of dealing with this much easier and faster as one only needs to highlight the unwanted message headers, hit the delete key, and do a "Send/Receive" which deletes them unread. This morning it took a few minutes to download the headers (80 or more) and a few seconds to get rid of them.

Surely Eudora has a similar feature?

Hopefully DoN will pop in here and tell us what's going on with the sudden surge in these bogus emails. Fallout from SoBig?

Reply to
Mike Henry