Any of you guys also getting mail bombed?

Perhaps you haven't but how many others have you given problems to? Is this a troll or are you unaware of the current internet problems? These are caused by the unconscionally poor security and bad choice of defaults in OE and its relatives.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

than my real

If every ISP was required by law to do that and to reject everything from non-compliers, it would be much easier to track down and punish those responsible for most of the internet problems.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Okay, I am convinced that oe sucks. |I have been trying to google alternatives and only found Eudora and no real reviews that compare features etc. Beyond Eudora for a mail/news reader, what else is out there for a wintel system|?

Ciao, David Todtman

Reply to
David Todtman

Try mozilla

if you want a browser that also does email and newsgroups. I am getting all the ms/microsoft security virus emails but am not seeing them because I have a filter set to delete all emails with ms or microsoft in the sender's address.

Another nice feature of mozilla is the junk mail filter, it will keep you from having to look at at least 3/4th's or so of your spam email.

Also, many viruses look for outlook express and it's address books and you are no longer using it.

Install mozilla, it will (or you can do it if it does not) import all your email, addresses, etc., and you can give it a test drive. Set it to leave all your mail on the server for a while and you can go back and get it with IE and OE later if you want.

Simply stated, MicroSoft is hapless about security. They don't care, they just want you to keep on buying stuff.

If you kick IE/OE, take a look at

too. Then you can kick the MS Office suite for a free package.

Reply to
Jack Erbes

Like I said, I haven't had any problems. Come over here and scan my harddrive yourself, it's clean.

Tim

-- In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!" Website @

Tim Williams

How can Outlook or Outlook Express give someone else problems if their systems are virus free?

I w>

Reply to
Mike Henry

This current rash of email bombs has nothing at all to do with weather you have Eudora Mail or Outlook express or whatever. I don;t use OUtlook, my email addy is bunged and I have never used my earthlink address in any online emails or posts, yet I still received well over

2000 emails in a few days. I did find ut that if you do use an alternate email program for webmail, other than what Earthlink has for its customers, you will not get any of this email bombings. Its only if you elect to use your own email program, then the filters and blocks enabled by Earthlink will not be effective. I can go into my earth link email program and only see 2 or three posts however if I go into the alternate email program (PM Mail) same address etc I have hundred of emails waiting to download. So some ISPs do have a handle on it, but if you use your own email program your on your own, and hopefully you know how to set up any filters or blocking actions to filter this junk out. My P M Mail still will download and automatically delete the posts I have filters set for so its still time consuming while your waiting for all the emails to download, however it does not seem to tie up the Earthlink email program at all. I rarely ever use earthlinks email program as its just too basic and restricting in its use.

-- Visit my website: Remove nospam for correct address http:// snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove nospam from email address

Reply to
Roy

The latest virus making the rounds.

I'd suggest that you try out Mailwasher available for free at

It allows you to look at your inbox on the ISP server inspect mail and delete junk without actually downloading it. It also appears to allow you to look at mail without setting off worms or virii.

Reply to
Bradford Chaucer

It is worth noting that XP contains a firewall (not turned on by default). You can also configure OE to be very robust (though it isn't set that way by default). So it would seem that Microsoft is beginning to realize that they bear some responsibility for providing a secure system. The real complaint is that the system ships with all that protection turned off, so the burden falls on the user to configure it properly, and there's damn near zero documentation telling the user how to do that.

The other complaint frequently heard is more generic. It says Microsoft's software is buggy. I'd ask, "Whose isn't?" The fact is that nearly every piece of software has bugs which hackers can exploit. The reason MS stuff gets attacked most often is that it is used by the largest number of people, ie it provides a target rich environment.

I'm not particularly fond of the way Microsoft conducts business, and I'm not happy that the market is so dominated by them. But I believe it is a mistake to blame their products for the virus and worm attacks we're suffering. I don't believe their products are that much worse than those of others. It is simply that they've provided a target rich environment by becoming so dominant in the field.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

So I have admitted defeat to the filtering thing. It takes too long to deal with Earthlink's Webmail site and their filtering is a joke. Yes they will stop the suspect emails, if you turn Spamblocker on High, but the suspect emails still count towards your 10MB total so it defeats the purpose. Now I am just leaving Eudora on all the time. It checks my email evey 5 minutes, downloads the latest crap and dumps it in the Junk folder. I have deleated about 900 today.

When is this going to slow down?

Haven't people realized their machines are infected by now?

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Jack Erbes wrote: ...

Alternately you could reject if the body of the message contains "this is the latest version of security update" since this will also get rid of the ones from (for example) "Program Security Center" ... @support.com.

The {Abort|Bug|Error|Failure}{Advice|Letter|Notice|Message} variants can be rejected by filtering out messages with bodies containing "Content-Type: audio/x" (ie, delivery-failure messages with .exe and .bat files masquerading as x-wav and x-midi files)

-jiw

Reply to
James Waldby

this may help

-------------------snip---------------------- Ahh... that makes sense

no easy fix for that is there.

I wonder why I'm getting nothing in my E mail? maybe cause everyone I know uses the same stuff I do....mostly anyway.

AVG by Grisoft and Sygate personal firewall

plus some filters I set up on my own.

here is a couple links for up to the second online virus scans bit defender(opens compressed files too I think)

great scan but they don't provide removal tools

and Symantic

an OK scan (does not open compressed files)and they have removal tools for free download

this is another Symantic link

and here is a really nice free virus scan download by grisoft that run on your system and checks your E mail.
and a link to a free version of the Sygate firewall(that has saved my ass on more than one occasion!!)
it up so your system has to ask if it can do anything....a bit of a pain but you know right away if anything funny is going on

Good luck guys sorry to hear about all your virus problems

send an E to snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca to see what my filters do to unsolicited mail If the key phrase isn't in the subject line it sends out an automated response to the sender saying I didn't get their mail and they may wish to do a virus scan if they didn't send me anything. if the key phrase isn't in the subject line it gets dumped into the trash that empties itself automatically people who really want to talk to me resend with the key....spammers and virus don't bother.

Peter

------------------------------snip------------------------------- from alt.inventors

Peter

Reply to
Peterthinking

Not necessarily a good thing if you are not receiving the virus emails. If you look at the description of this virus at any of the anti viral sites, you will notice that if this virus is installed on your computer then it controls your email system and looks to see if you are receiving any more instances of itself. If it sees another incoming instance then it stops it and you don't see it. Therefore people who are seeing the thing in their email are probably clean. People not receiving it may have it nicely installed already.

There is a whole page list of antivirus software it attempts to negate.

Reply to
Pastor Eyesd

Its also worth noting that the XP firewall ONLY blocks incoming traffic! Which makes it pretty useless IMHO. The free version of Zonealarm is all you need.

regards Tim

Reply to
Tim

Opera browser set to maximum security (OK, I can't go to some websites, but they can F---O--- out of my life)

Free Agent newsreader, although I purchased Agent ($30?) as I liked it so much.

Pegasus Mail. Totally free and close to bulletproof.

then ZoneAlarm firewall plus Webwasher, then let Steve Gibson's site do a "probe" on your PC. Shut down the weaknesses it exposes, and you'll be pretty tight.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

than my real

Not my quote. I always use my real email addy.

Gunner

"Anyone who cannot cope with firearms is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe and not make messes in the house." With appologies to RAH..

Reply to
Gunner

I've got 125 messages sitting in my trash bin right now, some spam, but certainly 100 are the virus. I could go into it right now and view any number I want, not like I'll bother since it takes a moment to reload the 24k posts here at RCM to get back to what I'm doing now. ;)

Yup. One thing I saw it cancels is regedit, and I can still run that no problem.

Tim

-- In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!" Website @

Tim Williams

Ernie Leimkuhler scribed in :

it is the Swen virus

for those of you who have said 'but I don't even use OE' etc, sorry, it is not your fault.

the problem is this.... Outlook, by default, will add addresses to the addressbook from ANY and ALL emails or newsgroup articles READ by the user.

So, the outlook user doesn't need to do anything to get your address into his addressbook. the virus comes along and leverages that 'useful' feature.

now, those of you at Cox.net and at hcvlny.cv.net , please check your computers quickly. most of these things are coming from those domains (to me anyway). note that the virus turns off your antivirus software, so you need to hire a geek and nab it properly.

now, will someone please write a useful virus, one that will invade Outlook and correctly set all it's settings for security, disconnect the filenames from wscript.exe and so forth? please. optionlly uninstall Outlook entirely and load 'any' other email client with optimal security settings. free.

swarf, steam and wind

-- David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\

\ / ASCII Ribbon campaign against HTML E-Mail > - - - - - - -> X If you receive email saying "Send this to everyone you know," / \ PLEASE pretend you don't know me.

Reply to
DejaVU

Mailwasher sure sounds good but it doesn't work on a Mac.

Reply to
nick hull

For those of you who suspect you may be infected by the Swen email virus, Network Associates has updated its Stinger detection tool. Easy to use utility to clean up infected systems.

Regards

Jim Vrzal Holiday,FL.

DejaVU wrote:

Reply to