Any of you guys also getting mail bombed?

It is a new one called SWEN

Here is the link

Ernie Leimkuhler

There's reason for puttuing things like'nospam' in the middle of your email address. If you use this group through a browser, you will see that your email address is there for everyone to see. People use software to glean email addresses from web sites like google and this is why you are all getting this junk. Don't put your real email address out there.

Todd L

Reply to
Todd L

Todd L posted some words of wisdom:

I second that!

Duh!

(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)

Reply to
Larry

Actually, I just looked at everyone's email address who is in this thread. Over 20 people and I only see 2 people who have protected themselves by protecting their email address. Live and learn. Every time you post your email address goes out there for the world to see.

Todd L

Reply to
Todd L

It doesn't matter what you use for a mail client in this case... it's all about who you know and how stupid they are. Apparently I know a LOT of stupid people, because I'm getting about 30 per hour on average. I use Kmail and SLRN under Linux... I don't even run windows!

Reply to
Mike Graham

Test for invalid email address

-- Richard Advanced Metal Works Clearwater FL

Remove xtra @ symbol from emaill address to reply to me

Reply to
AMW

So do I and not under a M$ OS but am still getting hundreds. The problem is with our ISPs not blocking them so we still have them clogging our mailboxes.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

To the extent that he markets an inferior product and makes no serious effort to improve it, he is.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

mike at metalmangler dot com writes

It has nothing to do with who you know. You are the on putting your email address out there.

Todd L

Reply to
Todd L

I'm just jumping into the thread for the first time but mine is somewhat protected even though you can't tell by looking. I own the domain "progressivelogic.com" and can use any email address there that I want. I use this as a screen by using an assortment of different email addresses for different purposes. For example, when I signed up with Papa John's Pizza to order online I created a special address, something like papajohn@. If I start getting spam to that address not only is it easy to block but I also know who to blame and who to complain to although it probably won't do much good. :-)

I do the same thing with anything I sign up for or any company I order parts from such as MSC, Enco, Sears, etc.

The email address shown below is used exclusively for this newsgroup and the one you cross posted to and you might be interested to know that it looks like it's the only address that the virus has been sent to so far. :-) I say it looks like it because I'm not about to take the time to check all the messages I've received to make sure but everyone that I did check was sent there.

When the virus goes away I'll probably make up a new address for the newsgroups but in the meantime you won't be able to reach me at that address because I'm about to set it up to delete all messages that come to it. :-D

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

It does. You can specify the largest message it will download automatically. Above that size, you get just the header and a few lines of context.

You can also uncheck "use microsoft viewer" for HTML email. Then it doesn't use Internet Exploder code to try to view the HTML. A bug in IE is one of the ways the virus spreads.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale

In this case that is not the problem. I am in the process of changing ISPs. The new mailbox which I have never even typed into the computer is getting 60 to 80 an hour. My old box is getting about the same number. This thing is just randomly assembling addresses and blasting away.

The support pe> mike at metalmangler dot com writes

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

I use attglobal.net for my connection to the Inet and Netscape for a reader and Email. ATT lets you set a spam filter which has reduced my spam from 40-60 per day to 0-4 per day. Netscape lets me block by size, which keeps most goofy graphic jokes and .exe files from getting in.

Jamie

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

Reply to
Jamie Norwood

I've used AOL for years and never bothered to falsify my address. I get about

10 of these a day. Apparently, AOLs spam filtering does an almost adequate job of intercepting this junk. I also took the precaution of letting my wife know NOT to open anything with an attachment without my inspecting the header first.

I'm surprised by some of the comments in one way. Do the other ISPs download the entire message for e-mail? I only see the subject line, senders address and the date it was sent.

Earle Rich Mont Vernon, NH

Reply to
ERich10983

Got 200 in the last 24 hours and it's gone up to 30 per hour at the moment. Is this why I got the 1Mb line?????

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I disagree, I have my own domain as well, and the only email getting bombed is the one I use in newsgroup postings. This is no different then the stupid Nigerian letter scam. I also only receive that thru my newsgroup reading email account.

Reply to
V8TR4

Got about 1800 today for the Microsoft Patch virus! The poor ol' Mailwasher couldn't handle that many without getting bogged to the knees. I finally realized that I needed to only download 200 or so headers and treat them and then go for the next bunch. Pain in the butt! Hope that I don't have that kind of problem tomorrow.

-- There are more Democrats on the Calif. Special Election than Republicans! Go count if you don't believe me! Bob May

Reply to
Bob May

I won't comment on the quality of the Windows OS but I think the problem is more that MS is pandering to advertisers by making the web more than just HTML. The junk like java, flash, direct-x etc make it easier for Virus Makers to exploit the OS. OE tries to punish me for disabling "Flash" by flashing a nag on the screen every time I go to a page that wants it. To put salt in the wound, mail (and news) should be text only and not HTML, once again pandering to the advertisers and enabling hackers to have their fun.Granted some of us use HTML for Usenet but if it wasn't there I don't think we would miss it.

Mcafee says to turn off (the default setting) of automatically running executables in Outlook (& OE). Simple thing to do but you have to remember to do it. Whenever I get a new program, I have to go through all the options just to make sure I haven't been duped again. A lot of software writers are putting in default settings like... "Send a report home to Mama every time program acts up ". It seems fine and dandy until some hacker figures out how to use that permission to their advantage. Just doing a local file search in XP and the OS tries to log onto the web... very suspicious behavior AND unnecessary and a security risk.

Reply to
Zorro

The ironic thing is, I'm using OE 6 and I can still run regedit for instance (the info about the virus says it cancels such commands, to thwart its removal of course). I've never had a virus and I use all the crap (IE & OE).

Tim

-- In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!" Website @

Tim Williams

I don't know about the other 19 (minus the 2 protected ones) but mine is invalid. I do have a number of addresses at the free web based mail servers to use for "public" purposes but don't see the need here. I don't really get the reason for private emailing here. I suppose the ones who use it could tell me. Maybe for OT stuff, I don't know. This place is very friendly and very much unlike a clique.

Reply to
Zorro