What are your two bigest modelling purchase screw ups?

Your post caused a couple of random brain cells to fire, and an old memory bubbled to the surface. I'm pretty sure I remember having a B-58 with a button on top of the fuselage to eject a crewmember...I think

Doug Wagner

Reply to
Doug Wagner

Doug,

You might be thinking of the B-66 that had a button on top that ejected a bomb. Can't remember the brand.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

"AM" wrote

Been out for a couple of years.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

I think it was the weapons pod. The original Hawk F-104 popped the pilot out the underside just like the prototype.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller

don't forget the 'sandy' A-1's or A-7's either. go for a nice diorama, eh!

t.

Reply to
87015

Thank You !!

I had just written it off and never checked again...........

Reply to
AM

The kit is a B-17 kit with a new fuselage and vertical stab and rudder.

The material, if it is styrene, is junk. Must be some recycled stuff. The thickness of the fuselage is excessive. The two halves don't match. I think I should have just bought a B-17 kit and scratched the fuselage.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

Damnitt!! Don't any of you fossils have one you can go and check? Stop guessing and do some research! (c:

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

The Monogram B-58 dropped the pod (definite) and their B-66 dropped the bomb, IIRC. They also had the TBM that dropped the torpedo and SBD that dive bombed in 1/48. I've got the original HAWK F-104 directions and don't think it used gum bands - just gravity - to dump the seat. Maybe the ejector seat was a Lindberg kit, maybe the F-100 or F8U?

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

No way! I prefer foggy old memories to facts any day. In fact I remember being quite a stud-muffin in my day...

Doug Wagner

Reply to
Doug Wagner

...our memories arent foggy...they're just heavily weathered...

Reply to
Rufus

all mine are stenciled-NRTS!

There was an old F-105 that ejected the pilot with rubber bands, IIRC Monogram.

Reply to
Ron

which sub kit spewed out torpedos?

"Ron" wrote

Could be - I never had that one, nor the AC-47 with pre-painted camo. I think I had just about all the kits pictured in their mid-70's fold-up catalogs, 'cept those two, the Hurricane, Typhoon, and Me 109, and the civil planes like the Tri-Pacer and Wright Flyer.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Monogram's original A3J popped a bomb out the tail. The hole is still on the last moulding between the engines. Either Monogram's or Revell's F-105 had a revolving bomb door for bomb dropping. I had an anonymous fuselage with the feature. I don't think it was the old Aurora F-105A.

I distinctly remember sitting down with my new Christmas SBD picking all the parts off the runners and breaking off all the little tabs that interconnected the dive flaps. Instructions? Na, I didn't look at them until later. Ah, childhood!

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller

I don't remember a kit with torpedos that shot but the Renwal boomers shot a missile.

Reply to
Ron

I never had that one either, I had the B-58 and B-66 but there was one at a collectors shop a few years ago.

Reply to
Ron

Monogram had an odd-scale B-58 Hustler that had the button on top for dropping the weapons pod. Somewhere in the stash I've got a purported-to-be 1/72nd Nitto Hawker Hunter with a rubber band actuated ejection seat.

Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN

Reply to
Don McIntyre