What are your two bigest modelling purchase screw ups?

Now......Now.....I was born at night but not last night. :-)

I actually got the Pocher kits at a Kmart many years ago for a very low price. How they got them I will never know. It must have been some kind of liquidation. I was tempted to sell this collection more than once over the years but am very thankful I didn't. Altogether I have about 50 kits from this era. It's a little sad that they will probably never be opened and built.

Reply to
unimodeler

Did that myself..sort of. Got a 1/35 Tamiya Flak 88 for $5 at a K-mart as a teenager...I already had two built, but for $5...

Still have it, unbuilt and in the box.

...ditto on a brand new Badger 200 that I got for $20 at a shop that was going OOB as I was passing through.

Reply to
Rufus

trying to think that i could recreate a childhood memory by building a 1/48 Me109 early last year. after a while there was NO way that the two kits i'd accquired were going to get built, so i disposed of them at scalemodelworld at telford last november. they had a large table called 'give a model a good home' and that was the only place that they were going.

again at SMW2004. there was a trader who had each of the RAF/RN F-4 kits in mint condition boxes at a price that was more that i could afford. :(

t.

Reply to
87015

Not buying two of all those kits I built in the 50's, saving one of each as an investment. But who knew then?

Reply to
falsedawn2

The one purchse screwup I can think of was buying the XB-70 Valkyrie in

1/72 when I knew damn well I had no place to put it if I ever built it. Non-purchase screwups really don't exist for me because there has never been anything related to modeling that I couldn't live without. There have been momentary regrets of missed deals, but after some thought I realized it wasn't that important anyway. By the way Drew, I have the 1/72 MB Lanc and Halifax if you still want them.
Reply to
timetraveler658

was glad to get rid of my Victory. what was I thinking when I bought a kit with

300 parts and a million miles of rigging.....geez, I can't even finish a kit with 100 pieces...

Craig

Reply to
crw59

was glad to get rid of my Victory. what was I thinking when I bought a kit with

3000 parts and a million miles of rigging.....geez, I can't even finish a kit with 100 pieces...

Craig

Reply to
crw59

I did the same thing. I bought the 1/32. 1/48 kits, kept them in storage for a few years. sold them at a loss, and now just a few weeks ago bought them again.

this hobby is only for the mentally ill.

Craig

Reply to
crw59

Most regretted kit purchase: Lindberg 3/16 scale B-17. Couldn't fit it anywhere in my collection. Finished it's life with firecrackers and B-B gun battle damage. I think it's actually available again now! Anyone remember Lindberg's electric motor kits, where you had to wind the armature wire by hand? After about the 5th one, I got one to spin briefly. Their Stuka, Corsair, P-47 and a few others came with this "FEATURE"

Worst regret for passing up: KMC 727

Reply to
walker

uh-oh, i must be a geek. my lindberg motors always worked. i even built a winder.

Oh yeah...that damn Stuka of mine never did run...

BUT - how about the F-104 (I think...) that had the rubber band actuated ejection seats? It was either an F-104, or a B-58...or both...lost the crew somewhere...

Reply to
Rufus

It has to be buying five (5) kits of that HUGE 1/48 AC-130U kit!!! What was I thinking?????

Reply to
robbelothe

Rufe, you shoulda got the Jolly Green as well. Just right for scale rescues. lol

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Sometime around 1990 I spotted a couple of big yellow boxes on the top shelf at Walmart - top as in out of reach, but readable. It was a pair of 1/48 AC-130s (pretty sure they were Spectre gunships). Testor repackages of Italieri kits - had the Iti logo on the side. I couldn't find a stock lackey to retrieve one, nor could I find their ladder or a boost, as I've never been ashamed to help myself that way. I was in a hurry so I left 'em. Came back the next day - gone.

Dropped by the local hobby shop the next day, took a peek at the one he had on his wall. The wall with the other big scale, big price, big ticket kits that usually grow moss they take so long to sell. Same kit in Italieri box was something like $60-80. Now that hurt.

Never did come across a deal on a AC-130, but I did pick up a G or H mothership version with test drones for $50 a few years later. Close enough, but still...

WmB

Reply to
WmB

HEH!!! - that and a Testors 1/48 AC-130 providing the top cover...could'a had 'em home by dinner time...

Reply to
Rufus

Mine are the Maquette Boeing 317, and the Battleaxe Fokker DVII.

I'll never buy another of either brand.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

Well, I got 5 Esci/Italeri Tu-22m but that's another story... some years ago, when the plane was already long OOP, I found an Esci Backfire-C and got it. Then I realised that it needed a lot of surgery, so as I didn't want to screw up a rare kit I started looking for another one (just in case...) and found it. The problem is they were both "C" versions, while I wanted instead to make a "B". Then Italeri reissued the kit and I ordered it from my local hobby shop (hoping it had also "B" parts and of course it didn't). For nobody knows which reason, while my order was still pending, other hobby shops already had it so I bought another one, and then the one I had ordered finally arrived some months later. So I had 4 of them: all "C".

I started the "plastic surgery" correcting all the faults and converting it to a "B", but I wasn't satisfied with the scratchbuild intakes... guess what! Some months ago I found an Esci Backfire "B" on Ebay at a good price a got it to use its intakes. Now I have a Backfire B and 4 Cs!!! And only one of them is slowing getting ready for the paint job...

The only plane I wanted to buy, but missed it, was a russian vacform of the Yak-41/141 Freestyle. I was told it wasn't so good, but it was the only game in town, but never managed to get one, despite numerous attempts. Now finally Anigrand makes a nice resin kit.

Reply to
Yuri

Ok, now you've gotten my attention: I've had the itch to tackle a Boeing 317 for a couple of months now. Exactly how bad is the Maquette kit? I keep going between purchasing that, or going the Airmodels vacuform route...neither one an attractive alternative.

Reply to
Pauli G

"Pauli G " wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

The majority of the parts come from the Frog B-17E. However that appears to be OK depending on your level of expectation. The Academy B-17s could be donors if you feel the need. The fuselage such as it is is a horror show. I couldn't tell if it resin or plastic at first but it apppears to be a hard plastic made up of sweepings off the floor. It's very flashy and some of flash is very thick. The real disaster is the left and right fuselages are different lengths. Not a lot of difference, but there ain't supposed to be any. I've lined it up numerous times, I think it'll be OK with a fair amount of putty work to the nose.

Other than that it does look like a 307. I've seen pictures of them finished nicely, but I suspect the builders were more advanced.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Screw up was not buying was a resin 5.0 cm Pak 38 AT gun (1/35th scale) at a model minature flea market. There is no kit of one, and for $20 (which I had) I should have got it, I went and bought a resin Wespe instead, and then Tamiya released notice of a new plastic one from them two days later :( Stll have the Wespe. (it IS a georgous full resin kit !!!!)

Still no Pak 38 in 1/35th that I know of........................

Worse sales screw up was selling most all my Trimaster models, some 40 in all. Needed cash, kept the one's I thought I would build (around 8) and sold the rest for around a grand. Loved the $$$, miss the models now.....

Reply to
AM