Revell F-14A Question #4770

is the F-14A a protype version or one that was in production, in action, etc....

Craig

Reply to
Craig

found one for $40, but just read a review of it on aircraftresourcecenter. me thinks it would be better to get the Tamiya kit so as not to have to deal with all the Revell problems..... is that Revell kit gonna have 10 years or more old decals?

that a good idea?

Craig

Reply to
Craig

I'm in the middle of building my second one...

First answer - yes, it is a production version...the original Fleet F-14A. The one you're seeing would be the RoG release - if so, it has a nice set of new VF-111 Sundowners decals in it in the subdued grey scheme...but I'd still buy aftermarket. It also has a bonus - a set of rubber tires which are actually the right size for a 1/32 F/A-18. I plan to use them elsewhere - use the plastic tires to be correct.

Second answer - it's a "builder's kit". I now have two Revell and two Tamiya Tomcats in 1/32 and the Tamiya one is the one I'll be buying a third of. The worst aspect of the Revell kit is the landing gear. I am doing tons of scratch building (even more on this second one) on the gear and gear wells to get an acceptable result. IMO, the Tamiya kits are worth it for the gear alone.

The cockpits suffer in both kits, however the Teknics cockpit set is the absolute best out there, and a must-have, IMO. It is made for the Tamiya kit, but with some effort it can be fit into the Revell one - I'm also doing this for the second time; it was the only aftermarket item I added to my first one. But as far as the exterior and shape go, it LOOKS like a Tomcat. I wouldn't turn my nose all the way up at one.

Let's see though...I'm adding the Teknics cockpit kit, a LANTIRN pod, aftermarket AIM-9's and a scratch built AIM-7, GBU-10's, REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT tags, the Eduard exterior etch set, and a set of CAM decals for VF-41 to this latest Bombcat...as well as scratch building an open fuel probe/bay, and planning on adapting an open/closed nozzle set from one of my Tamiya kits...I seem to recall getting this one for $40, and I've got about $90+ worth of goodies additional going into it...so far, my Tomcats (both the Tamiya and Revell ones - I'll have a total of five

1/32 F-14's in my collection by the ime I'm done...if I live long enough to finish...) are undoubtably going to add up to be the most inividually expensive models in my collection.

I can post some pics of my first attempt on ABMS if you'd like a look.

Reply to
Rufus

The Tamiya kit has its own problems, notably in the cockpit where it uses decals for instrument panel and console 'detail'. For the money the Revell kit is a better deal IMO, especially if all you're looking for is a good-looking shelf model, but $40 is too much to pay for it.

Only if it's 10 years or more old..... ;)

Reply to
Al Superczynski

a good well it looks like it, early F-14 standard is the matchbox version.

lots of work required though to get it to a high standard.

t.

Reply to
87015

that's all I want. either stick it on a shelf or hang it.

its either that or $90 for the Tamiya.

can't tell about that. no pic was offered. I don't know if its the RoG version. I had the Revell kit in the blue box a few years ago and figured that version must be pretty old. If there are after market decals for it then I don't care...

Reply to
Craig