F-14A Bombcat squadrons in combat

Am building a 1/32 tamiya F-14A, to be a LGB version. What squadrons flew the A in combat in Bosnia, Afghanstan & Irag.

Also, what squadrons flew inn combat dropping dumb bombs.

Thanks for the help.

Stan Parker

Reply to
Stanley Parker

I'm informed by an F-14 WSO acquaintance of mine that VF-41 was the first to take LANTIRN into combat over Bosnia.

CAM has a nice set of decals for a grey VF-41 combat machine, and I have a similar project on my bench right now.

Reply to
Rufus

Am I wrong in believing the -A was incapable of bombing? I thought that capability came with the development of the -B and subsequently the

-D. It's also my understanding the -A was wired and physically prepared to accomodate bombs but that was through design and not practice, until the -B came along. Is this correct?

Frank Kranick

Rufus wrote:

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

No - from what my F-14 driving friends tell me the F-14A has always had the capability to drop bombs. Mission tasking requirements and the availability of the A-7, F-4, etc. just never pressed the capability into service.

...but now that they need a job...

Reply to
Rufus

Indeed, your remarks are what I thought... So, it would be incorrect to model an F-14A with bombs on the pallets? All the images of 'Bombcats' I've seen are of the re-engined versions (-B, -D). With the retirement of the attack types and the upgrades of the Tomcat, there are/were no -A's used as bombing platforms, true? Have you images of any -A's set up to bomb? Not that I'm a 'Doubting Thomas' but I've not seen one. I beg your indulgence... ;-)

Frank

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

Hi all,

VF-41 was indeed the first to take the LANTIRN pod into action, over Bosnia, with the F-14A, there are plenty of photographs in the World Air Power Journal special on the Tomcat, fitted with both smart & dumb bombs.

The book is well worth seeking out.

HTH Ant 'Standing on the shoulders of giants'

Reply to
Ant Phillips

Ahhh...that's one worth looking for!

Reply to
Rufus

Ask away...

Depends on the time-frame, period of service, or theater of operations for the jet you are modeling. For example, it may be wrong to model a full-color 1970's/mid-'80's F-14A with bombs on the pallets, but a later drab combat grey one might certainly be "correct". The VF-41 jets I mentioned were certainly F-14A's; dropping LGB's. Remember - the A's, A+/B's, and D's have all operated side by side at some point(s) in time. I can't say exactly when without checking some references - which I always advise folks to do.

I seem to recall seeing a picture of an F-14A fitted with adapters for dropping Mk-76's a LONG time ago somewhere...sometime...can't recall where. I do know that most of my Tomcat driving friends, when I've questioned them, have said that they've always had the capability but never trained to it until recently. (If you'd ever seen any video of F-14A HUD symbology you'd understand why...) LANTIRN is what made the difference, IMO.

Most (if not all) remaining F-14's on deployment are being used in the role of fast strike/attack nowadays...take a close look at recent combat photos - you'll find most carrying LANTIRN. If they are, they are bombing.

Reply to
Rufus

Ant & Rufus - Many thanks for the info and direction to the WAPJ. I'll have to seek it out. I always aspired to build a Bombcat but had neither 1) a Hasegawa F-14 of any subtype nor 2) and suitable conversion for one. Now, my options expand by the knowledge of -A models being able to drop bombs. Thanks for your help.

Frank Kranick

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

You're welcome...:)

Reply to
Rufus

Just saw a book on VF-41 over Bosnia, it mentioned them flying A's & dropping LGB's, so I guess they at least had the ability. They also mention the same of their sister squadron but I can't remember them. Am leading to the VF-41 A with 2 LGB's.

Frank Kranick

Reply to
Stanley Parker

Rufus you old dog. How are you doing. After a bunch of twist and turns, I am finally returning to the modelling scene. I'm gonna have to replace all of my equipment starting with an airbrush and compressor. I look forward to hearing some of your advice. Shoot me an email. I dont have your old address, as it got lost the last time my computer crashed.

Derek

Reply to
deeman

HEY!!! Welcome back! I've been busy buying, if not busy building, in the meantime.

...and I KNOW you've got the new 1/72 U-boat from Revell.

Reply to
Rufus