StuG III G History Question

Hi, So a couple of firsts: My first groups post and my first serious model and I have a few questions.

I purchases a Tamiya 1/35 StuG III G kit (#35197) and have been looking around to find where abouts this version of the tank would have been seen in combat. The tank is mentioned in N. Africa and the battle of Stalingrad but I'm not entirely sure it would be the G. I'm curious because I would like to paint the camouflage accurately to where it would have been seen in combat. This will also help me find out what tank(s) it would have fought against for my next project.

Thanks for the help, Dave

Reply to
Dave

The "G" model entered production in December, 1942, so the presence of any Gs at Stalingrad is unlikely. North Africa is more possible but only slightly so.

Cheers,

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

Finally found some information. The StuG III G is specifically mentioned in the Battle of Tali-Ihantala (June 25 to July 9, 1944).

that I know when and where I'd like to find out how they may have been painted and which Russian tanks they would have fought.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

1944).
Now that I know when and where I'd like to find out how they may have

This works out nicely as I have two questions to expand the discussion of late Stug III. 1) How many Axis countries used them. 2) Did they all have zimmerit from the factory, even those going to Axis partners?

3) How is this pattern best modeled in 1/35 scale? 4) Is it plausible to ,model the pattern on small scale kits?. Finally expanding the original post in terms of modeling them, How many marking are out there for Stug III variants from places such as Archer's transfers? I supppose if one include generic unit markings and numbers every operational area can be represented?

Nice to see this Stug III thread.

Big Al cherer

Reply to
Albert

1944).
> Now that I know when and where I'd like to find out how they may have

1943.
also has a nice pattern example. As far as applying it to a 1/35 scale model I wouldn't have a clue being a beginner modeler.
Reply to
Dave

1944).
> Now that I know when and where I'd like to find out how they may have

First I had to look up what Zimmerit was but I found a nice link that talks about factory application of it to tanks in late 1943.

also has a nice pattern sample. As far as the feasibility and method of applying it to a 1/35 scale model I'm not sure as I'm still a beginner.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
Gerald Owens

1944).
> Now that I know when and where I'd like to find out how they may have

I found some Zimmerit in a .pdf catalog from

It is in the 17-32 pg file and on the last page top left

Dave

Reply to
Dave

1944).
> > Now that I know when and where I'd like to find out how they may have

Also just learned about the StuH 42 that was also used in the Battle of Tali-Ihantala (June 25 to July 9, 1944). and how it is simply the StuG III F/G with a different main gun and an after market part can be found here

to accomplish the look if anyone besides myself is looking for such details.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

1944).
> > > Now that I know when and where I'd like to find out how they may have
Reply to
Gerald Owens

Hey! Watch out what you are saying! The "obscure" battle of yours decided the fate of a whole nation for the rest of the century! See

Ok, I admit that the battle was not _that_ big in the Eastern Front standards, 200 000 troops in all on both sides.

It is not a bad choice for a model, though. The Finnish StuGs are pretty well documented (see e.g.

) and the paint scheme is quite different from any German more commonly seen on models.

Mikko

Reply to
Mikko Pietilä

Thanks for the link!