Re: Hasegawa vs Tamiya

In checking out the local shop, I noticed that both Hasegawa and Tamiya offered
> P-47D razorbacks in 1/48 scale. The Tamiya kit is almost double the price of
> the Hasegawa kit. Is the price difference worth it?
> Greg
You'll probably get a lot of opinions here. The Tamiya kit has better
detail, more stores options, more kit options (props, cowl flaps, wing
flaps, and intercooler doors) and has better fit. It is up the the
individual to decide whether the price is worth it, but I think it is. My
review of the Tamiya kit can be seen here:

HTH.
Dave
Reply to
Dave Williams
The Tamiya is better shape wise and I built it with no filler of any kind, it's that well engineered.
HUSKY1979 wrote:
Reply to
Ron
The Tamiya kit is the better of the two. Order it from Hobbylink Japan = and even with postage it won't cost much more than the Hasegawa kit in = the UK.
HTH Andy Macrae
Reply to
Andy Macrae
Upgrading the Hasegawa kit to match Tamiya's standard is likely to cost at least as much, if not more, than the Tamiya kit. Its dropped flaps, superb cockpit detail and range of options easily justify the extra expense. Add to this the time you'll save in surface prep if you're doing a NMF subject, and Tamiya wins hands down.
For these reasons, the Tamiya kit offers the best value for money IMO. Although it's more expensive than the Hasegawa offering, it's still within my budget for a 1/48 subject. If you want to spend less, can live without Tamiya's features or can do them yourself, Hasegawa, Academy or Monogram all offer worthy alternatives.
Scott G. Welch
Scott G. Welch
Reply to
OSWELCH
check it out at
for better price especially you are in UK.
Reply to
Tomcatter
Gregory:
"Is the price difference worth it?" Well, I'll tell you. It depends on what you want to have when you are done. If you are doing a collection of P-47's with the emphasis on the different units or aces' markings and camouflage, the Hasegawa is the kit to use. If you want to do just a single "Jug" with all the flaps dropped and everything hanging open, the Tamiya kit is probably your best bet.
Bill Shuey
Reply to
William H. Shuey
Watch out for luckyhobby's shipping. They want to charge more than $15 to ship to Chicago, IL. Mike
Reply to
Mnm879
Hi Greg, I would go for the Tamiya kit buy at least down here in Aus. they seem to be priced much closer so it might pay to shop around a bit and see if you can get the Tamiya kit at a better price. regards JimboD
Reply to
Jimbo D
Several got points have been made already. I agree with most of them.
The best reason I can give to recommend the Tamiya kit over the Hasegawa kit is the fit at the wing root. Hasegawa blew that when they released their razorback version. Very tedious to deal with the step at the wing root of the Hasegawa Razorback (the wing root of the Hasegawa bubbletop is much better.)
Tamiya uses an insert (the fits wonderfully) for the .50 Cal holes. Hasegawa's holes go right along the split of the upper and lower wing. Not that hard to deal with, but always a judging point at contests. Tamiya's .50 barrels are drilled out and look so much better than the Hasegawa barrels.
HTH
John Mulhall IMPS USA 1377
Reply to
JOHN4UT
I'm not a contest expert (I've been to a few local ones), so please bear with me.....
I'm confused about your comment on the "judging point at contests". I assume you're referring to the fact that the guns on a P-47 were not centered on the leading edge, so the holes should not fall on the seam between the upper and lower wing halves.
How can that be a "judging point"? There is no "fidelity to scale" judging criteria in IPMS contests, I thought. (RC scale airplanes have to have proof of scale to show that their model is accurate.) Given that there's no requirement for supporting documentation, how can judges dock you for not fixing dimensional or molding flaws in a kit? Isn't this the old debate about how judges can't apply personal knowledge of prototypes to models, as they can't possibly have the same amount of knowledge about every type on the table?
Am I mis-understanding something ?
(I always thought that there was a subtle difference between static scale and flyign model scale modeling at contests: flying models are judged on how closely they match the prototype, whereas static models are judged on the craftmanship of the builder. )
Reply to
RC Boater
RC:
This post may re-open a long standing thread about IPMS "Judging" , so better get you flame proof underwear on! Sore subject with many people. :-)
Bill Shuey ex IPMS member
Reply to
William H. Shuey
The big difference between the Hasegawa kit and the Tamiya, Academy, Monogram, and even the Hawk kit i shtta the fuselage is about .040 too shallow and too short, the deficiency occurring height-wise at the top to bottom break line (about mid-fuselage), and the tail break line (about1/4 inch forward of the stabs). It is really obvious when you compare the various cowlingss from the front. Since the main atraction of the Jug is its bulk, and Hasegawa's is a little on the slender side, it's something to keep in mind. I didn't notice this until I had a few on the shelves, so I'm thinking iof shimming them with strip.
Reply to
Dennis Pemberton
Hi is Luckyhobby's a mail order firm. I own a shop on the southwest side in Orland Park, and I carry both Tamiya and Hasegawa items. I will check my prices to make sure they are more in line with each other. Bill
Reply to
Mrsteed464