GWR Loco numbers plates

Talk about obscure requests for information! I'm trying to find out the actual size, in inches, of the brass plates that carried the Loco number on Great Western Tank locos. It would a 4 digit number with a black background. Also if anyone knows the "font" used for the numbers, that would be useful too. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Les Pickstock

In message , Les Pickstock writes

Overall length: 2 ft 1 1/4 inches Overall height: 11 3/4 inches Width of beading: 7/16 inch Height of numbers: 5 3/4 inches Casting bevel around everything: 1/8 inch.

If you are a member of the GWR e-list, there are a couple of files in the files folder that contain the outlines of letters and numbers for GW nameplates and numberplates. There is also a truetype font called SWINN___.TTF which contains these numbers and letters.

The URL of the GWR e-list, where you can join, is

Jane Sullivan

Jane Thanks for such a quick and informative response. I've applied to join the yahoo group already. I also read your garden railways pages with great interest. Pneumatics!!! Damn! why didn't I think of that. Thanks again.

Les Pickstock

Reply to
Les Pickstock

If you are a 4mm modeller, I found a reference that may be of use. It describes how with the GWR being quite standardised the brass plates were also highly standardised as to the mounting positions. A set of 5 jigs apparently (I don't model the GWR, so I do not know how true) allows the plates to be correctly positioned on the vast majority of loco classes.

Location of article is Model Railway Constructor 1975 December page 621.

Hope this is of some use.

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin

Thanks Kevin I'm working in 7mm but I'll go through my back issues and see if I have that.

Thanks

Reply to
Les Pickstock