Russian Military License Plates

I just finished the Military Wheels 1/72 GAZ AA truck, a superb little model with breathtaking detail.

The license plate blank with tail light on top goes on the rear frame, but there is no information as to what the plate looks like.

Is there a source on these things? I have a decades old paper filled with 1/76-1/72 German WWII plates, so I wonder if the same has ever been done for he Soviet scene?

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

Tom,

Not to the same level of detail.

Most of the Soviet plates consist of two Cyrillic letters followed by two digits, a dash, and two digits. They still use a similar system today.

Some of the kits of Soviet trucks come with multiple plates but can't give you a direct one to pick. There is a WWP pub on GAZ-67 and others which gives you some insight.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Tom,

I took a look through my clippings from Russian model magazines and can largely confirm what Cookie wrote.

However, my collection suggests that license plates were not all that common on Soviet military vehicles. I only saw plates in about 10% of the photos. Just as common, was to have a registration number senciled on the front doors, just under the windows. This typically looked a little different, taking the form "C-C-00-00" where "C" was a Cyrillic letter and "00" a two digit number. I'd estimate the height of the letters as 4 to 6" (10cm?).

Those plates I did find photographs of confirm the format "CC-00-00". With one exception (which was a drawing, and may be wrong) the text appeared to be white on a black background.

Rare variations I saw show the two Cryllic letters smaller and in the upper left corner, or centered in a line above the numbers. Sort of like this:

MB ----- (small) 68-95

and

MB --- (small)

68-87

I KNEW there was a reason I keep all that crap....... ;o>

Greg Reynolds, IPMS

(PS, If you need any help fabricating a plate for your model, drop me a line. It looks like a 10 minute Photoshop job.)

Reply to
Greg

Greg

TIA. The door number on mine is a Cyrillic D-1-05-66. If you could do o ne on Photoshop and shoot it to me I'll photoreduce it to size and the model is done.

Thanks to Cookie as well. I may have some Bellonas or Profiles or the like in the MAI Library, but the vehicle section is currently buried under the pile of magazines in one corner where a shelf collapsed. Halfway through clearing to build permanent cabinets, which currently block one entire isle.

Next meeting that I can make I'll bring the Bomarc borrowed so many years back. When I find the Bomarc magazines I'll get those back to you as well. As you know, Sharkit has it out now.

Thanks again,

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

Check this website out......for your license plates.

Jack

Reply to
Jack

Thanks for the sight cue.

The GAZ-AA that I am doing is a late WWII truck. Greg is working up a master based on the individual truck. I'll reduce from there to 1/72 (3/16"x1/8").

I think that the older black and white plate at the bottom of the sight may be about right for the time frame.

Anybody know what the plate on the front of the radiator is? My guess would be GAZ in cyrillic.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72