1/72 Cars and Trucks

I thought I should mention that Woolworths are selling a Cararama set of a Mercedes car transporter with trailer and 4 cars under their "Chad Valley" brand for £2.99, I bought one just for laughs but it would be great for dioramas as they are very detailed, Darren

Reply to
Darren

In article , Darren writes

The local Bargain Madness (B&M) have three sorts of Cararama five-car packs for a couple of quid each. IIRC, one is mainly 4WD/SUV types, the other mostly saloons and the other sports cars and soft tops.

I regard them as candidates for "Car Wars" or similar games, with the SUVs in line to become "Technicals" if I ever dabble in "AK47 Republic".

Regards,

Reply to
Moramarth

too bad they bailed out of the us.

I'll say! I bought some of my first 1/72 stuff from them. I still remember walking up to that big display of Revell's 1/72 fighter planes and only having 50¢ in my hot hand. They sure left a big hole in downtown when they went away. :(

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

i remember buying the spirit of saint louis in a berwyn, il store. it was a buck, but when shr rung it up, the sales gilr said $1.03. i said oh, i don't have enough the clerk said it's ok, honey, i can make up 3 cents. i went home and hit my gramma up for 3 cents and went back. i thought the clerk would faint. she found some testor small tube samples and gave me a couple, telling me to come back soon. she sold me models for 25 years after that, though sometimes with 10 year gaps. last time, she and the store was gone.

Sounds like a letter to Oprah is in order. "Dear Oprah,

A long time ago a salesgirl did this boy a favour and I always went back when in that town. She has since disappeared...... ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

These are the Hongwell 1/72 diecasts and they are probably the best on the market.

We started listing and illustrating the li ne in ESM 72 Vol.6, #3. The also go under the Schucko label.

There are lots of them, both in sets and in individual plastic display cases. At Berkeley Ace Hardware the single cars go for under $3.

I have a Land Rover Freelander in front of me. Compared the green to the one on display at the dealership (how many gallons to the miles was it?) and it was perfect. Interior is the correct tan (albeit with no other colors other than a black steering wheel). Front windows are given half way up, nice windshield wipers, defroster stripes on the rear window. Sun roof is simply painted black/

Accurate wheel covers (including the exterior spare on this one), rear view mirrors, headlights are silver. Appropriate tail lights, turn signals are red or yellow/orange. UK proto plates (LRF160) and tiny Land Rover on the hood are final touches.

The car is mounted on avery nice display base, attached with a spring loaded twist screw. Tires are rubber.

The dealer wanted me to get some and I asked how much he thought they were. He said "$10-15" and when I told him under $3 he wanted a hundred!!! I sent him to the web site and Berkeley Ace Hardware.

My favorites are the VW Van and Beetles in various guises and the Porsches. I have two of the multi-car sets, but have not seen the Mercedes car carrier yet.

If you want the web site or subscription information on ESM 72 subscription drop me a line. With civilian and military coverage in 1/72 and 1/76 in all mediums we have databased 3528 vehicles to date.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Dear Penthouse: A salesgirl touched my.....

Kim M

Operation American Freedom-Where is our regime change?

Reply to
Royabulgaf