Serious question was Re: B-58 Markings Enquiry

Bill asked:

You mean they weren't painted?! Maybe they should have tried dry >transfers. ;)

Damn Bill, you had to ask a real question! When did they change over from paint to decals? Serious! I know the prototype/pattern Canberra flown over from the UK had the insignia painted on in Martin's shop.That was early 50's, but that was a special case only two that way? I remember OK ANG F-86D's having decal national insignia around 1958 or so. I never saw painted insignia on C-97 or C-124 after 1963 or 64. B-47E at Douglas Test had decals in 1968. A-3 Skywarior.in the same group had decal markings at the same time.

Anyone got an idea when the decals came into general use in the US and UK?

The USAF T.O, 1-1-4 1967 edition had decal instructions for markings including warning arrows, etc. Damn another research project!

Rick MFE Blind modeler

Reply to
OXMORON1