trucks and couplers

Hi, I am relatively new to the hobby and just purchased a large selection of used rolling stock in n-scale. The problem is most of the stock are missing trucks and couplers. What are my options for replacing these? I don't need remote uncoupling, so inexpensive and reliable are the most important. In other words, once connected stays connected and cheap. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
RJS

RJS wrote: Hi, I am relatively new to the hobby and just purchased a large selection of used rolling stock in n-scale. The problem is most of the stock are missing trucks and couplers. What are my options for replacing these? I don't need remote uncoupling, so inexpensive and reliable are the most important. In other words, once connected stays connected and cheap. Thanks in advance.

---------------------------------------------- Not knowing when the cars were made and who made them, I can't really tell you how to approach this. You'd probably need the truck pins and wheelsets, too, I suppose. Micro-Trains, Atlas, Red Caboose, MDC/Roundhouse, Model Power, and others have separate parts (trucks, wheels, couplers, truck pins).

The least expensive trucks that I know of are the Model Power #301-2 Freight Truck with plastic wheels. You can find these for under $2 a pair at Standard Hobby, I believe. Truck pins are #3624-2. Standard has an on-line catalog.

You can buy Model Power N Scale Freight Cars from World of Trains for about $2.30 each if you buy 20 cars! (I believe they are still available at that price).

What this amounts to is that you can get an entire brand new freight car complete with trucks, wheels, and couplers for about the same price as the parts you need to rebuild the cars you have!

URLs for all the manufacturers and suppliers I mentioned are on my Favorite Sites page at:

Good luck with your endeavor!

History of N Scale:
Links to over 600 helpful sites:

Bill