N scale wheels/trucks for custom models.

Hi Group,

I am new to RailRoad modeling and new to the group. Sorry if my question sounds stupid , but I am a total novice to this hobby.

I just got a few trucks from somebody and some rolling stock. I wish to make some models of my own but don't know how to attach the trucks to the base, as they are without any screws. The person who gave me the trucks said I would need "grommets". (he is also not very familiar with this hobby). The rolling stock I have has trucks with metal wheels and is attached to the stock base with small screws, I want to know how can I attach the trucks (has rapido couplers) and plastic wheels to the base of a custom built model.

Need pointers in that direction. Appreciate your help.

Also I live in Glen Allen, VA where there is no hobby shop around for about 20 miles. Anybody whose know about good hobby shops , please point.

Thanks!

USC Trojan

I just got a few trucks from somebody and some rolling stock. I wish to make some models of my own but don't know how to attach the trucks to the base, as they are without any screws. The person who gave me the trucks said I would need "grommets". (he is also not very familiar with this hobby). The rolling stock I have has trucks with metal wheels and is attached to the stock base with small screws, I want to know how can I attach the trucks (has rapido couplers) and plastic wheels to the base of a custom built model.

-------------------------------------------------- Atlas, Model Power, Micro-Trains, and MDC/Roundhouse offer truck pins for separate sale. You should be able to find what you need from these manufacturers or Walthers. The screw-type ones are used on Bachmann items.

Good luck with your project!

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
to 1,000 sites:

Bill
*** The rolling stock I have has trucks with metal wheels and is attached to the stock base with small screws, I want to know how can I attach the trucks (has rapido couplers) and plastic wheels to the base of a custom built model.

--------------------------------------------------- Here are some part numbers for truck pins: Atlas: kingpins for trucks (6/pkg) #22003. MDC/Roundhouse: truck mounting pins (12/pkg) #8970. Micro-Trains (conversion pins): Atlas to MT (24/pkg) #1034, MDC to MT (24/pkg) #1039. Model Power truck pins (24/pkg) #3624-2. Con-Cor (solid pins10/pkg) #09-TN65 (split pins 10/pkg) #09-TN64.

You might try Standard Hobby Supply for the truck pins:

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
to 1,000 sites:

Bill

There are several issues, not just the one of how to fasten the trucks to the body.

a) the bolster (that little crosspiece underneath, to which the trucks are attached) must be high enough so that the wheels don't rub the floor.

b) the end of the car may have to have some or all of the endsill filed down so that the trucks can swing from side to side without fouling it.

c) for fastening the trucks, use small screws, which you can get from Walthers, microfasteners.com, and other sources. For N gauage trucks you will need #1 screws, IIRC. Use the flathead type, as the coning under the head helps center the truck. Actually, getting screws this size is the hardest part - very few hardware stores stock such small screws. You also need drills of the proper sizes, so invest in some. Try Micromark (micromark.com).

Good luck!

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Hey Bill and Wolf !

Thank you for the valuble info.

Really appreciate it. Will check micromark and walthers.com for the screws. And yes will take care about the bolster height.

Pranav

Reply to
USC Trojan