N Passenger trucks/MTL couplers for ConCor

Is one of the MTL passenger trucks [101719 or 101819, silver sides]
correct for the Con-Cor smoothside UP passenger cars? From the
pictures, they look like 4-wheel [101718] trucks, but I can't be sure.
Reply to
harrym
Yes, they are the ones. I've used them many times (particularly the other black versions). There isn't much other choice for N-scale passenger trucks.
Reply to
Steve Hoskins
I have some of the Kato UP cars, but not the whole set. Do the Con-Cor cars have detailed interiors and/or chrome window frames like the Kato cars?
Steve Hosk> On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 23:14:28 -0600, harrym wrote
Reply to
harrym
Yes, the 4-wheel MT Trucks will work for you.
Personally, I actually like the Con-Cor trucks better! They IMO, have better details. MT trucks have almose no relief cast into the sideframes.
I convert the Con-Cor trucks to MT couplers (1023/1025) by cutting off the original Rapido coupler and part of the mount and attaching the MT coupler using piece of 0.020" brass strip and some 00-90 screws. That way I can make them close couple by controlling the coupler-to-bolster distance.
Peteski
Reply to
Peter W.
No, Con-Cor cars aren't quite up to Kato's standards. For pass. cars, Kato rules the N scale world (just like MT is the "Cadillac of N scale" for freight cars)!
Just the other day, I was drooling over friend's Kato California Zephyr set. Sweet!
I have the full Kato Superliner set - that is also a gorgeous item!
Only bad thing about Kato cars is their couplers - they uncouple quite frequently, even on smooth trackwork (where MT coupler equipped cars do just fiine).
I'll have to talk to Eric Smith from MT - maybe I can talk him into making a retrofit couplers for those Kato cars. :-)
Peteski
Reply to
Peter W.

Site Timeline