How hard it is to rebuild a Detroit 4-53?

I bought this Detroit 4-53 engine.

It is not much, partially disassembled.

I can see some rebuild kits for them and crankshafts for sale on ebay.

I m wondering how difficult it is to rebuild one?

The reason for my question is that I have two forklifts with 4-53's in them, and also my crane can use 4-53 instead of the current cummins

504C. I am also a sucket for those detroits. i
Reply to
Ignoramus25402

"Ignoramus25402" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

You have the service manual for it on your website.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

And don't forget to check the piston ring end gaps before you install the pistons .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

That should be SOP on ANY engine rebuild.

Reply to
clare

They are no more difficult to rebuild than any other engine. They use replaceable sleeves so there is no reboring problem. There are a few "gotchas" in the injection and governor area but any decent service manual will cover that. The blower needs to be inspected, end play , rotor clearance, etc. measured, and bad blower seals can cause excessive oil use.

One thing about them is that they were manufactured with an almost endless range of options. The same block could be right hand or left hand rotation, for example. Originally there was a strip mounted on the cylinder head listing the part numbers of all the various options. If the strip is missing and most of them seem to be don't worry, but do check the part number of the part you are replacing and buy the same part.

Reply to
John B.

Yeah , it should . But I've seen more than one time it was forgotten , ending upwith broken rings , scored cylinder walls and even seized motors .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

+1. Blueprint that mofo before putting anything back together.
Reply to
Larry Jaques

If you are istalling a precision rebuild kit, including sleaves, pistons, and rings, they will have been pre-fit - but still a good idea to double check. It's been quite a few rebuilds since I ran across a ring that required filing - the last I belireve was on a worn engine that had been honed, not bored - with "1ST OVERSIZE"rings installed on knurled (resized) pistons (AKA a hack job)

Reply to
clare