Revell F1 Ferrari 2002 1/12 scale - whose molds??

Saw this at the Hannants website:

Is this a protar mold, or a new Revell mold? Can anyone comment on the quality or point to a review???

TIA Keith Walker

Reply to
Scorpian

"Scorpian" a formulé la demande :

Hi Keith,

It seems to be a new mold, and a really good kit ! the body is pre-painted in the right red, and every parts are really nice. The only problem is on the decal sheet : no Marlboro marking.

rgds

Reply to
Flying Frog

New mould, but its a Protar creation.

Here is an OOTB build up:

Ken

Reply to
Ken Hartlen

Why is that a problem? It does race several times a year without them.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

Yes of course tom, but if you want to present another race than those without these markings, you need to buy Studio 27 sheets.

Reply to
Flying Frog

Yeah, building a different version than provided usually requires some additional stuff be purchased, but that's the norm in this hobby and not in the least bit unusual. Sounds like most reviews indicate it will take quite a bit of added stuff besides smoker decals to get this one up to the standard we have come to expect from Tamiya.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

Hi all,

I have this kit and have basically started to improve it as much as I can. If this kit was £30 then I would expect to get what I got in the box, but for £70 this is a disaster. The plastic is crude and not many of the parts fit to well. I don't think Revell will be selling many more in this scale unless they get their act together. (shame, would be nice to see a Williams and Mclaren) If it were up to Ferrari, if they have seen this kit but as they say money talks. If it had the two Tamiya stars behind it then this could have been at least £179 or more and with the attention to detail that they produce, then I'm sure it would have been a big seller, I know I would have purchased one.(or two but don't tell the wife) To bad Tamiya. Anyway it will provide me with hours of enjoyment trying to correct it and hope to show it to you all as I go along.

Oh, will the ARC be interested in an article?

Reply to
Spencer

But to be correct, the cars were configured differently (wings, etc.) at each race, so you would have to modify some stuff if you put Marlboro decals on the car. Far worse that the decals, IMHO, is the fact that the kit incorrectly comes with the F2001 wheels and the soft plastic harness is pretty cheesy, not to mention wrong in being only a four-point harness instead of a six-point. The detail is somewhat softer and a little less than what less than you get in any recent Tamiya 1/20 scale F1 car. As an example, most of the dials on the steering wheels are just represented by decals and almost all of the electronics boxes under the engine compartment are missing.. Even the smaller Tamiya kits have all the knobs in 3-D and have a couple of the boxes. The painting isn't that great either; the large body parts aren't bad, but my kit has a lot of orange peel on things like the front wing endplates and other red stuff on the same sprue. For a retail price of ~100 Euro, you should get better than this. I think the kit in quality is less than my 25 year old Tamiya 1/12 Lotus 78 J.P.S. kit.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Williams