Monogram '70s box scale typos?

There's a seller on eBay who's got a bunch of '70s Monogram kits listed. He has their Tu-16 & F-101B listed as 1/72 scale, so I dropped him messages about the scales being wrong. He sent me a response saying he only put what the box says & we exchanged a couple of messages about my having never heard of those typos. He sent me pics of the box ends & sure enough, they both say they're 1/72. Obviously, the F-101B is about 1/100 & the Tu-16 is bumping 1/200. Anyone else familiar with this batch of box typos? I wonder what else they may have mis-scaled.

Reply to
frank

Over the years? Lots of things.

First off were their "3/8" Scale" armored vehicles which should have been 1/32 scale (do the math) but instead were 1/35th.

I think both the Ford Trimotor (1/77) and the Wright Bros Airplane (1/43) were offered as 1/72 and 1/48 at one time.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Over the years? Lots of things.

First off were their "3/8" Scale" armored vehicles which should have been 1/32 scale (do the math) but instead were 1/35th.

I think both the Ford Trimotor (1/77) and the Wright Bros Airplane (1/43) were offered as 1/72 and 1/48 at one time.

Cookie Sewell

The big difference back then was - none of us kids had reference material that would have allowed the measurement to be made, probably wouldn't have wasted the time if we did, the trick was to run home and build the thing ASAP, OMG will that Damn high gloss PLA paint ever dry, and I guess we were good kids that trusted the adults that lied to us about the scale - like Howdy Doodie said - don't trust anyone over 30, but some of us did. Although at times I wondered why some kits had really tall crew members and others had midgets, like why did all the other Revell army guys only come up the the elbows of the Sheramn Tank commander.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

IIRC, the 101 is 1/109 and the Tu-16 is around 1/184. The worst part of the Tupelov are the gross rivets. I can't believe I manged to paint the canopy frames on that one. My hand isn't that steady anymore.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller