Where to get brass hex or rod?

I'm going to need to get hold of some brass hex or rod (probably about 35mm diam or A/F) and a total length of 1.5-2 metres. I'll also need
some 6mm MS U-section, about 70 wide and 20 deep.
Any suggestions for where to buy it and how much it should cost? (I'll try metal supermarkets in the morning).
Dave

I`ve been using this lot for aluminium.Very competitive,don`t know about their brass prices. http://www.arenastock.co.uk / Mark.

possibly smiths:- http://www.smithmetal.com /
No idea what current prices are though.
Mark Rand RTFM
NoSpam wrote:

Dave, Try AALCO Solent at Nursling. not too far from you.
Their newish customer "service" policy means you have to ring first and be expected when you call in. They won't open the door to casual callers, or they did not a year or so ago. No amount of "I have money and want to buy your metal" would make them change their mind.
I only still use them as metal supermarket in southampton was getting very expensive.
HTH
Bob

Bob,
AALCO looks interesting for non-ferrous, but do you know of a local steel stockist who will supply in small quantities? I can get steel easily enough by mail order, but the carriage charge can double the cost. Southampton Metal Supermarket costs even more!
Mike
mikecb1 wrote:

Mike,
I don't have a local solution for steel. As I travel quite a lot for work, I usually arrange to collect from a model engineering supplier and save the carriage. For emergencies I use metal supermarket. I retire in March so the travel option will present itself less frequently so I will need another economic solution too. If I find one I'll let you know and maybe if you solve it sooner, then you could pass it on to me.
Regards
Bob

Bob,
Sure thing.
I believe there is a place in Ringwood (Ringwood Engineering?) but I've yet to explore it further.
Mike

The answer is not to buy small quantities or to define a small quantity as a single length (middled if fitting it in the car is a problem). Then the commercial suppliers are cheaper than the model shops even at their outrageous small quantity prices. The other advantage of buying by the length is that you've got stock for the next project:-)
Try Macreadys, Unit 3 "Newmans", Newmans Copse Rd, http://www.macreadys.co.uk
Give them a bell and ask for prices.
Mark Rand RTFM

Depends where you are located. At work we often buy from Rudgwick's
http://www.rudgwickmetals.co.uk /
and I've had good service from them as a private customer. Prices don't seem more than usually outrageous.
NoSpam wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately the other part of the project (toughened 10mm glass, 500x420) is proving to be rather more expensive than I expected. Unless I can find a cheap source of glass it'll be a non-starter.
Dave
NoSpam Wrote:

Hi Dave, What part of the country are you in? If London/South East area you could try http://www.actonbrightsteel.co.uk/index.html
I have found hem quite helpful in the past.They do like to sell full lenght stock, usually 3 metres, but price wise 3 mtrs from them is about the same as 1 mr from a model shop. They also deliver at no extra charge, or they did last time I ordered metal. The exact price is dependant on weight, which they measure when filling the order, or so it seems. Ned Ludd
--
ned ludd
ned ludd wrote:

Ned,
Do they sell over the counter for cash/card or do they want an account? I'm happy to buy full lengths but i can't promise them volume of business to justify an account.
TIA
Bob

extra
it
Ned,
Do they sell over the counter for cash/card or do they want an account? I'm happy to buy full lengths but i can't promise them volume of business to justify an account.
TIA
Bob
Hi Bob, They don't much like people coming down, they prefer you ring up, before1400hrs, for delivery next day. If you should make yourself sound like a business, you might have more credibility. You do not require an account to deal with them, but you will in their records after the first order. They seem not to have a minimum order, but don't take the p**s. They will sometimes sell part bars, I once bought 2 foot of 2"x2" EN8, but the 60+ price might have made it worthwhile.They do take cards, so the whole deal can be done on the phone, before delivery. The reason they don't much like over the counter is because of the time it takes to do the paperwork, as I said the order has to be weighed before the invoice can be printed. They are after all indusrial suppliers. Having said that, they do have an oddments/off cuts area for "model engineers", but I am told it's a bit of a PITA. If they are busy, and they can be, you might not be welcomed. Odd scraps buyers please note. Hope this helps Ned Ludd
--
ned ludd

Try "Thames Stockholders" in Enfield N London. They will take cards, and sell "over the counter" if in stock.