Where to get brass BSW screws?

I need some 3/16 BSW brass, raised head, countersunk screws, either

7/32" or 1/2" long. Can anyone suggest a supplier?
Reply to
nothanks

newshound

Lots of brass screws on that link but AFAICT there aren't any that meet the spec.

Reply to
nothanks

say they will do other lengths if you ask them.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I'd seen those, but they're ordinary csk rather than raised countersunk.

Reply to
nothanks

eBay is the generic answer. Did you even try it first?

Reply to
newshound

Of course! I also tried everywhere else I could think of, that's why I asked here for help. Do you have a helpful suggestion?

Reply to
nothanks

Ring 01636 636735, sorry I don?t know the bloke?s name but I was there this afternoon buying 5/16 bsf bolts. Whilst I was there he sho wed me his vast stock some of which was brass bolts af various sizes. Can ?t guarantee he?s got what you want but there?s a c hance. He lives near Newark and stands the Newark auto jumble regularly.

Reply to
Anzaniste

Some people are a bit nervous of eBay and do not realise that it is actually better than any traditional physical hardware shop (much as I like them).

If you had said you had tried eBay without success, many of us would have regarded that as a challenge and no doubt managed to locate some. As it is, I for one won't be bothering.

Reply to
newshound

That's

Adrian Caspersz

Well definately NOT Bunces of Worthing because they seem to have called in an insolvency company :-(.

Pity because that was the goto place if you wanted all manner of screws/bolts/fastenings in small quantities, and on a Sunday.

Reply to
Andrew

Is brass essential?

I can get equivalent size 10-24 in UNC in A2 Stainless.

Same major diameter, same pitch although 60degs thread rather than BSW

55degs.

Any doubt get a tap.

Any reason why a standard countersink can't be used?

Reply to
Fredxx

Yes, I'd seen those but I need to match the brass originals. I spec'd BSW because that's what the originals are, but I have a wide range of taps and dies so a small thread angle change would not be a problem. These screws attach the window "furniture" to 1930s Crittall window casements (which are steel). There are typically 4 screws per item by design, but several are either missing or have sheared heads, that's why I want to match; mixing flat/raised head or brass/SS would not look good. If necessary I could move screws around (so that one casement had all new, etcetera) but that would be a pain and would probably lead to more spoilt heads or shearing - using the dremel to drill-out is a royal pain and I don't want to add to the number I have to do. Also, there are rather a lot of casements. I've contacted a few suppliers now and may have found a source for longer screws with the correct head and thread, so if I can't get the right length I'll have to make a holder and get shortening. There we are: full disclosure ;-)

Reply to
nothanks

JOOI, would firms who restore Crittall windows not sell to you or do they not bother to match the original screws?

Reply to
Robin

Crittall can't help and (so far) I haven't found anyone with the screws.

Reply to
nothanks

Might be worth dropping these folk a line if you've not already tried them...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Thanks, I hadn't found them.