Where to buy 12 inch flywheel

Hi, gang!

For the ultracapcitor series of bicycles, I am equipping one with mechanical flywheel.

The seat and top tubes are 1 3/8 inch. The down tube is between 1 5/8 and 1 3/4 inch.

The frame geometery is uncertain but will probably hold a 12 inch flywheel.

Where can I buy a spoked cast iron flywheel with 1 1/4 wide and deep circular or rectangular cross section rim, about a two inch hub, and 5/8 bore with keyway or broached integral key?

A machine handwheel just won't do. Not a big enough rim, and not symmetrical.

Operation speed is 120 rpm pedaling max, times 48/12 front/rear drive = 480 or

500, times 48/8 rear/flywheel, or 3000 rpm. At that speed, if aerodynamic drag is over 5 watts, I need to know and can consider a profiled or built wheel. Needs to be well balanced as supports are 1/8 sheet metal on either side of the frame of the bicycle, against the 1 3/8 tubing. To establish the 1/16 inch clearance I can make the metal thicker. It will be in the form of 14 inch approx circles, or full width panels.

Can anyone estimate the rim weight? I can calculate the energy.

Yours,

Doug Goncz (at aol dot com) Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA

1100 original posts at:
Doug Goncz

Hie thee down to Goodwill and buy a used exercise bike for $29, their standard price for all exercise gear. Most of their stores in the Seattle area have many to choose from since the Nigerians who rob make that work on the loading dock don't want them I mean can't sell them.

Exercise bikes have nice flywheels just about the size you need. Many are even chromed.

Grant

Doug G> Hi, gang!

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Drive belt pulleys come in many sizes. Wider ones take parallel belts.

Earle Rich Mont Vernon, NH

Reply to
ERich10983

Isn't this thing going to be pretty heavy? It'll be a bear to climb with. What about gyroscopic effects of the flywheel?

Regards,

Reply to
Peter Grey

Sounds like the driven pulley on an air compressor to me.

Reply to
Toolie002

You guys rock!

I think Earle's idea of a multibelt pulley wins.

I am currently looking at:

for "unfinished handwheels" in sizes 12 and 14 inch with 1.3 inch rim thickness. A little hub trimming, and it'll do.

My frame sux. I may go with the new frame.

Yours,

Doug Goncz (at aol dot com) Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA

1100 original posts at:
Doug Goncz

Doug is this what your looking for?

Particulars:

Wheel dia appr. 11.5" rim 1.5" wide and appr. 0.5" thick Hub is very thick but bored for a 7/8" shaft no keying. Outer hub dia almost 2.5"

If you can use it it is yours for postage. I'm in zip code 34690 weighs around 12 pounds

Jim Vrzal Holiday,FL

Doug G> Hi, gang!

Reply to
Mawdeeb

For minimum weight use a small bicycle wheel and wind wire on the rim.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see: Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs

Ontario

Reply to
Boris Mohar

I've seen heavy roller chain mounted on a bicycle wheel, too. Of course, there's not much way to adjust the length of the chain, but if it's loose a layer of rubber underneath the chain can take up the slack.

Orrin

Reply to
Orrin Iseminger

Mawdeeb makes the rain come. On Mars. In Winter.

I'll take it!

Email to follow.