Nice HF 2" three jaw chuck

The HF two inch three jaw lathe chuck is threaded M12x1 (fits my Unimat One at any rate) and includes the thread to MT2 adapter. The teeth on the jaw are a little thin. They'd be much better if the scroll and teeth were both tapered to support engagement and provide stability. That's very hard to match fit.

Nice little chuck for $20 in the latest flyer. I bought two and am happy. Not ecstatic, but very happy to find it fits my One. They sell a copy of the One for as low as $99.

I think with an R8 to MT2 adapter this would go on the Super Shop for tiny jobs.

Yours,

Doug Goncz (at aol dot com) Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA

1100 original posts at:
Doug Goncz

So, do you think it might make a useable tailstock chuck for a larger lathe?

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Is the back of the MT2 adapter drilled and tapped for a draw bar? If so what thread is it? If not is the material soft enough to make this easy? Regards Bob

Reply to
rjs

I don't know, Paul. I've never executed a tailstock chuck operation. Can you tell me more about those operations? I only know what I've done.

I have Advanced Machine Tool Operation and don't recall seeing it there. I have no other printed resource.

Yours,

Doug Goncz (at aol dot com) Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA

1100 original posts at:
Doug Goncz

1) I don't think so. But then, no tang either. 2) N/A 3) I think so. The adapters are in a different drawer from the chucks. I can test file it and let you know.

Yours,

Doug Goncz (at aol dot com) Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA

1100 original posts at:
Doug Goncz
04486-1HBC $19.99

3/4" MT-2 style tapered shank Three reverse stepped jaws Precision machined chuck and jaws Durable steel construction

2 1/32" outside diameter; Chuck marking: 1, 2, 3; Comes with two chuck keys

Those are pin keys, there.

Yours,

Doug Goncz (at aol dot com) Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA

1100 original posts at:
Doug Goncz

Actually the male thread of the MT 2 adapter fits my Unimat chuck. I doubt that the chuck centering boss designed in to the One is present. I'll look more closely some day.

East Coast Hobbies, I think it is for the One, accessories, and parts. HF for the cheaper One.

Yours,

Doug Goncz (at aol dot com) Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA

1100 original posts at:
Doug Goncz

Went to Harborfreight.com and looked for the chuck. Not there. Then I entered into a "buy" page the part number you quoted, and up it came. The same chuck is listed in Harborfreight.com with a slightly different part number (not reflecting the reduced-sale price). For 20 bucks, I bought one, sight unseen, on the speculation that I will like it. Haven't gotten it yet, but my Unimat chuck is worn too much to be accurate anymore.

Brownnsharp

Reply to
brownnsharp

Reply to
Michael Gray

Are you sayiing that there is a female 12 x 1 thread on the back of the chuck that I saw at ...

Yes.

A perfect fit for the headstock, tailstock or milling attachment of the DB200 or SL1000 Unimat.

The "register" of the chuck is a perfect match for the above-mentioned Unis.

The actuators are very nice, too. Hardened steel with knurled handles.

The included #2 MT arbor is easily removable, and allows for Uni workholding accessories to be used on larger machines.

A pretty good deal for under thirty bucks.

Too bad it isn't a 3" chuck.

Reply to
Peter H.

I still haven't seen a quality report for the HF chuck. Anyone want to volunteer? How rough are the internals (does it operate smoothly)? Is workholding consistent (how bad is TIR at various diameters)? Is there enough "meat" on the chuck body for me to put 3/4 16 threads in there?

Inquiring minds want to know Thanks

Reply to
Bruce C.

Reply to
Michael Gray

Michael Gray asked:

I live close to the border, and have these folks

it for me, and then I pay the taxes etc. myself when I bring it across.

Harry

Reply to
Dirty Harry

Me too. I live in the south Okanagan and use a receiving service in Oroville WA

Reply to
John Ings

When I see 'shipping by UPS and there is no alternate method offered I lose interest real quick. UPS brokerage charges are ridiculous! Ken (normally in Northern BC but currently enjoying an endless summer in Honduras)

Reply to
Ken Davey

It's really infuriating if the item is a CD containing a free upgrade to a piece of application software and the only shipping option to Canada is "UPS International". A CD can be mailed in the US for very little, but that UPS International charge can cost you more than the cost of the original software the upgrade is for!

Fortunately I have now moved to within a 15 minute drive of a US postal station. Now if it only took less than half an hour to get through the border crossing...

Reply to
John Ings

Sigh..... The $65US Tube notcher I got From HF cost me CDN$105 over and above the cost of the item for "Delivery and Brokerage Charges" I have asked them to ship USPS but no luck so far. When I buy from eBay I will specify USPS only and it cost me very little and have, to date, not had a problem. FedEx is also way better.

I'm in Toronto FWIW

Best of Luck

Tom

Reply to
surftom

UPS SUCKS!!

I try to never ever use them anymore.

I haven't seen a UPS charge beat FedEx in over a year. Not one.

Grant Erw> Sigh..... The $65US Tube notcher I got From HF cost me CDN$105 over

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I have a friend in California that sent me a couple. I had HF drop ship them to him, then he repackaged them and shipped to me. If I'd have know there was any more interest in them, I'd have "imported" a dozen or so. I got mine a week ago, so I just missed this thread about other Canuckle Heads looking for mini-chucks.

They seem like good value for what they cost.

Allan in Calgary

Reply to
beeperboy

Reply to