Nice HF 2" three jaw chuck

The HF two inch three jaw lathe chuck is threaded M12x1 (fits my Unimat One at any rate) and includes the thread to MT2 adapter. The teeth on the jaw are a
little thin. They'd be much better if the scroll and teeth were both tapered to support engagement and provide stability. That's very hard to match fit.
Nice little chuck for $20 in the latest flyer. I bought two and am happy. Not ecstatic, but very happy to find it fits my One. They sell a copy of the One for as low as $99.
I think with an R8 to MT2 adapter this would go on the Super Shop for tiny jobs.
Yours,
Doug Goncz (at aol dot com) Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA
1100 original posts at: http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=intitle%3ARe&as_uauthors=dgoncz @
So, do you think it might make a useable tailstock chuck for a larger lathe?
Paul
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com.bat.exe ( Doug Goncz ) wrote in message

I don't know, Paul. I've never executed a tailstock chuck operation. Can you tell me more about those operations? I only know what I've done.
I have Advanced Machine Tool Operation and don't recall seeing it there. I have no other printed resource.
Yours,
Doug Goncz (at aol dot com) Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA
1100 original posts at: http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=intitle%3ARe&as_uauthors=dgoncz @
On 12 Nov 2003 12:01:41 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com.bat.exe ( Doug Goncz ) wrote:

Is the back of the MT2 adapter drilled and tapped for a draw bar? If so what thread is it? If not is the material soft enough to make this easy? Regards Bob

1) I don't think so. But then, no tang either. 2) N/A 3) I think so. The adapters are in a different drawer from the chucks. I can test file it and let you know.
Yours,
Doug Goncz (at aol dot com) Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA
1100 original posts at: http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=intitle%3ARe&as_uauthors=dgoncz @
04486-1HBC $19.99
3/4" MT-2 style tapered shank Three reverse stepped jaws Precision machined chuck and jaws Durable steel construction
2 1/32" outside diameter; Chuck marking: 1, 2, 3; Comes with two chuck keys
Those are pin keys, there.
Yours,
Doug Goncz (at aol dot com) Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA
1100 original posts at: http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=intitle%3ARe&as_uauthors=dgoncz @

Actually the male thread of the MT 2 adapter fits my Unimat chuck. I doubt that the chuck centering boss designed in to the One is present. I'll look more closely some day.
East Coast Hobbies, I think it is for the One, accessories, and parts. HF for the cheaper One.
Yours,
Doug Goncz (at aol dot com) Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA
1100 original posts at: http://groups.google.com/groups?as_eq=intitle%3ARe&as_uauthors=dgoncz @
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com.bat.exe ( Doug Goncz ) wrote in message
Are you sayiing that there is a female 12 x 1 thread on the back of the chuck that I saw at:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberD86
Mike in BC (desparately seeking a 3 jaw for my Unimat) On 16 Nov 2003 19:33:16 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@wt.net (brownnsharp) wrote:

Are you sayiing that there is a female 12 x 1 thread on the back of the chuck that I saw at ...

Yes.
A perfect fit for the headstock, tailstock or milling attachment of the DB200 or SL1000 Unimat.
The "register" of the chuck is a perfect match for the above-mentioned Unis.
The actuators are very nice, too. Hardened steel with knurled handles.
The included #2 MT arbor is easily removable, and allows for Uni workholding accessories to be used on larger machines.
A pretty good deal for under thirty bucks.
Too bad it isn't a 3" chuck.
I still haven't seen a quality report for the HF chuck. Anyone want to volunteer? How rough are the internals (does it operate smoothly)? Is workholding consistent (how bad is TIR at various diameters)? Is there enough "meat" on the chuck body for me to put 3/4 16 threads in there?
Inquiring minds want to know Thanks

chuck
DB200
Unis.
workholding
Ok guys, so how DO you get stuff from HF without paying the ridiculous charges for Customs brokerage to UPS? Do you have friends in the US who accept then send on by USPS? An enquiring mind would love to know, as I'm looking at this chuck. Mike in northcentral BC
On 16 Nov 2003 19:33:16 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@wt.net (brownnsharp) wrote:
Michael Gray asked:

I live close to the border, and have these folks http://www.pointrobertsusa.com/tsbshipping / receive it for me, and then I pay the taxes etc. myself when I bring it across.
Harry
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 17:58:27 GMT, "Dirty Harry"

Me too. I live in the south Okanagan and use a receiving service in Oroville WA

When I see 'shipping by UPS and there is no alternate method offered I lose interest real quick. UPS brokerage charges are ridiculous! Ken (normally in Northern BC but currently enjoying an endless summer in Honduras)

It's really infuriating if the item is a CD containing a free upgrade to a piece of application software and the only shipping option to Canada is "UPS International". A CD can be mailed in the US for very little, but that UPS International charge can cost you more than the cost of the original software the upgrade is for!
Fortunately I have now moved to within a 15 minute drive of a US postal station. Now if it only took less than half an hour to get through the border crossing...
John Ings wrote:

Where? I'm in OK Falls.
Ted
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 19:04:17 GMT, Ted Edwards

Betta's Services 1306 Main Street Oroville WA 98844 509-476-2888 snipped-for-privacy@nvinenet.com
John Ings wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I knew about Betta's, used them several times. I was wondering where you are. Gotta post this since I don't have an e-mail address for you.
Ted
Thanks Harry, have emailed them to see what service they can offer me. Mike
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 17:58:27 GMT, "Dirty Harry"