Internet Machinists' Club Proposed

Hi All,

Do you think a club such as described in link below could work? I proposed at halfbakery and would like to get opinions here, also. I almost know enough to make such internet connections to machinery, and seems possible.

Thanks, Joel Clark (flypaper)

Reply to
ManyClarks

This has already been accomplished in academia.

My dream at MIT was to be such a remote machinist. I'd wear a video/audio rig such that what I saw was exactly the same as what the remote controller saw. Near perfect vision way beyond television. The controller would tell me what to do by projecting my motions forward in time, that is if my right hand were to move I'd see its shadow move, then move my hand to keep up.

I called it the Sensorium. The complete replacement of the eyes and ears with video and audio. It only exists at a fidelity far in excess of "virtual reality".

I knew it couldn't happen so I went to the community college to do it myself. That liability problem has stalled my career. I hurt myself late at night unscrewing a chuck that Leo had powered on. Had to give up the keys to the shop.

But since then, I have learned more about reading specs and combining off the shelf parts, so I maintain a certain level of creativity. Tom, Kurt, and I were talking about just this at the bike shop tonight.

It's a bloody shame.

Yours,

Doug Goncz (at aol dot com) Replikon Research, Seven Corners, VA

1100 original posts at:
Doug Goncz