Parting a knurled bar

Reply to
jim sehr

I've tried to part a long, knurled bar into a series of smaller bars without much success. I tried one end held by a center but the bar tended to collapse part way through which maded further parting impossible. I can't but the bar to far into the chuck because it will mark the pattern, so what should I do? jmc

Reply to
jmc

If it's steel just wrap a turn of soft Aluminum around it and hold it in the jaws. The kids at the high school have been doing that for the punches they have been making. works fine. ...lew... ps. soda can matl. is OK for fine/med. knurl

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

Was doing the same job as your description.I used aluminum flashing cut into 2 inch wide strips and used hose clamps to make it tight and concentric on the piece sticking from the chuck.Other attempts with leather or tape made the workpiece wobble.You need something that is hard enough without marring the workpiece.

Reply to
ED ROGERS

If a guy was to turn himself out a nice tube of UHMW poly, with the ID such that it was a slip fit over the knurling, and that the wall of the tube was thin enough to compress from the chuck jaws, I think you could just tighten down the jaws, part off, release pressure and the UHMW would "let go" enough (going back to it's original shape) and you could slide the knurled piece out (or in) again for another parting. I like to use UHMW for a lot of stuff. Even made a GREAT mallet from the stuff and I've used that mallet a lot and it's holding up pretty well, considering how hard I've whacked some things with it. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling