Are we still doing "Tool Gloats"?

Most of my tool purchases are "Tool Goats" not gloats but I think I did well this time. It was an "all or nothing" deal, no machines sold separately. It was the entire shop of a machinist who ran a business in his garage making boat auto-pilots. I am not sure when this fellow died but a friend was handling the sale.

Two lathes, Bridgeport, two bandsaws, compressor, a ton of tooling for them, etc., etc.

Some of the stuff is older but all in good shape and great quality. Did I do really well? Perhaps? I was not looking to make a profit, I was in it for the tools. I may sell some of my stuff and replace it with his. It will be a major upgrade.

The real point of this posting to say I did lose out not meeting this man. I passed within a few blocks of his shop 5 days a week for 20+ years. It was easy to see looking at the HSS lathe bits he ground and the shop made tools/jigs he was a skilled machinist. I am sure he forgot more about machining than I will ever know. It is cool having his tools but I would have liked some of his skill/knowledge. Just a thought I wanted to share.

Rich

Reply to
dogpoint

Cool. Find out his name, and be sure to put "Aquired from the Estate of SoandSo on this date, inside the boxes of each machine. And toast a cool one to his memory each time the job is done and you are relaxing afterwards

Gunner "The British attitude is to treat society like a game preserve where a certain percentage of the 'antelope' are expected to be eaten by the "lions". Christopher Morton

Reply to
Gunner

Congratulations, but it's not a gloat unless you give us some idea of what you paid.

-- Larry Bailey Illegitimi non carborundum

Reply to
LBailey