The Comercial Worked!

I just got home from the last NEPRA launch of the season. We had one spectator that saw the Rocket Challenge on TDC, saw the commercial, went to
the flyrockets.com web site, then found the NEPRA web page and came to today's launch. He said: "I can't believe the hobby has grown this much. I used to do this when I was a kid!"
He left the launch with a brand new LOC Graduator in hand that he bought from a vendor at the launch.
He's hooked!
Any other success stories?
-- Drake "Doc" Damerau www.rocketmaterials.org NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3 www.nepra.com Remove "My Shorts" to reply

God bless.

I am as excited at flyrockets.com as the next guy, but this is actually a great point.
The cost to attract new blood to a club is fairly minimal on a LOCAL level. Do LOCAL things to attract LOCAL people and the cost per impression is more like $5-15.
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Jerry
In my case the answer is an unequivocal NO......I watched the last big show about 'ameteur' rocketry (I don't even know what year it was) and didn't look on a local level for a year or so. One night when the opportunity afforded itself I did a search and found a local launch. I really don't know if I would have done that had I not seen the big show, that made me reallize that rocketry was more than an Estes show. So it's quite possible that local launches will not feel the full impact of the commercial for a year. Local stuff attracts no one around here. I don't know why, but we can't even get the local paper involved in a little ink on the hobby. With winter coming in the east (for you's in SoCal that means if you have a glass of water on the picnic table it will freeze solid and break the glass just like it was in your freezer :-) ) a lot of interested people will undoubtedly make an appearance next spring.........make them feel welcome.
--

Chuck Rudy

VooDoo Digital Productions

Hmmm. That is news. :)
Doc wrote: ...

I was looking forward to seeing who showed up, but unfortunately today's LUNAR launch was cancelled because the field is torn up and the parks department wants to re-seed it. anyways it's cloudy & windy & not just a little wet out. darn!
Just imagine what he would have said if he saw you guys host the NSL earlier this year :o)
http://www.nepra.com/nsl /
- iz
Doc wrote:

He may have said, "Don't you guys know enough to get out of the rain?" ;-)
-- Drake "Doc" Damerau www.rocketmaterials.org NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3 www.nepra.com Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Doc wrote:

Several new faces and first-time flyers at the CRASH section launch today. Most were parents with their kids (Wah hoo!). Some, but not all, talked about Rocket Challenge and asked about HPR launches in our area. They DID get to see some E/F/G composites and one H powered LMR, but the ooohs and ahhhs continued no matter what was being flown.
And, yes, they got to see a couple launch and recovery failures. But they weren't disappointed, they were asking questions about what went wrong and how to fix it for NEXT time. :)
Most of our club members were at the COSROCS contest launch down south so I wound up answering a lot of questions from excited kids (and adults), helping with several field repairs, and having six successful flights, including two prototypes I've been working on. And we all got to see an H242 powered LMR go up off of a HUGE custom made piston launcher; it was amazing.
Kudos to Bob and Ian for picking up the slack and RSO/LCOing a safe and enjoyable launch. An awesome rocket day, IMNSHO.
--
Gary Bolles
NAR 82636

Virginia,
NARAM. I

America
no, but

that
about
us.
Ha's
BluesRockS #657 in Ky has received 3 inquiries due to the Rocket Challenge... shockie B)

shockwaveriderz wrote:

IMO.....wait until May, it will take some folks some time and when the warm weather hits again (would be nice if Rocket Challenge would be aired a couple time in April) the real fruits of the campaign will become obvious
--

Chuck Rudy

VooDoo Digital Productions
The ads will only run 18 times, and that will be over in the next week or so as the shows are re-aired. If it's rebroadcast after that (like in the spring), no ads for "flyrockets.com" will be included. If there's not an impact over the next few weeks, it won't happen! The show itself might attract people, but the ad campaign will be long gone......

Ok, let's see $83,000 and it seems <100 people nationwide who have showed enough interest to email or attend a launch (based on RMR and ROL numbers)..... Yup, I'll say it worked...

The pessimism shown by some of you is truly sad. Lots of people bust their butts to bring this hobby to light and bring in additional people. Everyone needs to keep things in perspective.
For one, the show has just today, aired for the second time. Secondly, expecting to see huge results right away is not even feasible. Put yourself in the new prospectives shoes. For a new hobby, are you going to go out and drop a couple hundred bucks before you know anything about it? It takes time to see results. How many launches have transpired for people to attend since the first airing of the show?
Give it some time people and stop being so damn pessimistic. This is no different then starting a new business, and even new businesses take a couple years to really see payback. Yes, there will be some instant results bringing members and money into the hobby, but the real payoff will be word of mouth from the initial ones that get involved. Nothing sells better than word of mouth.
Give it some time, sit back and see how things pan out in the next six months...and for heavens sakes, use your head when you post these comments. Nothing like making the ones that stood up to help this hobby feel unappreciated.
I greatly appreciate the job they've done, & one last thought to keep in mind...not every success in life is measured by money.
-Boomer

went
much.
bought

well said well said, indeed
- iz
Boomer wrote:

The ignorance of some people just kills me. Just because it aired once means the entire world must jump on the bandwagon. I know many people that know I do this hobby and laugh because it is something silly we did as kids and after the show know see the intensity and complication of the hobby, many have asked to be invited to the next launch. It is still going to take the local chapters out beating the street inviting people because this is so new to most. People are always looking for the easy way out. Donate some cash and say I did my part, BS, get out there and help the hobby yourself too. I keep hearing people bitch that the NAR and TRA would do nothing to help and when the did now people are bitching that the helped. Get a clue people, if you don't like the way it is going do something about it. Ignorance will be the downfall of today's society.
Bill Eide