The Comercial Worked!

Wanna hear a phunnie story? I had two original Centuri Sky Tracks which we used at Tripoli launches that between launches Chuck Rogers wanted to take home with him "for safe keeping". As if where they were stored for the previous 20 years was not "safe enough". I didn't care since we were supposed "good" friends at the time.

One day at a launch he set up one tracker right near the road and then left to go do something for HOURS and surprise, one of the dirt poor desert rats stole it.

Did Chuckipoo rush to replase it? Nope. I had used those for years at NAR contests I hosted.

So being the true geekthat I am I commissioned Hank Ascuitto (with net proceeds from motor and kit sales and we all know how scarce those are now, it was worse then) to build me more trackers. These were more rube goldberg than the simple and elegant Trip Barber trackers all NAR geeks such as myself are familiar with.

They were works of art and could accurately have data read to within 1/2 degree. Delivered. Used at some subsequent launch. Then Gary Berg appointed himself equipment secretary for Winterfest/Summerfest/Octoberfest, again I thought he was a friend and frankly I felt a trailer full of equipment made more sense than jamming it all into the back seat of the Jetta with a trunkload of rocket motors anyway.

Every piece of equipment that was bought by me, purchased with range fees or otherwise materialized by the good graces of fest attendees disappeared into a Berg black hole never to be seen again. I have never seen even my remaining Sky Track since.

And Rogers pulled a supreme buttfuck by allowing a partner of ours to certify motors WHILE HE WAS A PARTNER, and USING COMPANY AASSETS under his own name (Kosdon 1991) (coincidentally also losing every motor I had submitted) and then removed ME from TRA for allegedly never getting FAA waivers, all of which were gotten and Rogers himself was assigned the task of publicising the fact at launches.

As for Berg and his buddy Morrow? They wrote the falsified report on which Rogers based his presentation to the other mindless automotons of the TRA BOD to go along with removing me. I wonder how many proxies he used on that vote? He use alot to become TRA President in the first place so he could be in a position to make/let all this crap happen.

Side note, Berg and Morrow specialized in getting rocketeer wives drunk, gang banging them and breaking up marriages. Pretty sure they brooke up

20 marriages or so. Real pieces of work these guys were.

So tons of equipment gone. Fully collectible Centuri Sky Tracks gone.

And the launch you ask? Within 6 months it went from 3000 people to under 200 and petered out from there.

TRA has little equipment because it is a den of theives.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I even had a person attend my launch that had seen the show. He came with his wife, and they flew rockets from the early 70's, from his stash that he had kept all these years. It was great to see them fly, and he will be back!

Tom "New Field" Ha Central Pennsylvania Rocketeers

Reply to
Tom Ha

What I found interesting is that they used at least three different systems. I did get a chuckle out of that low altitude tracking. They also used beeping baro altimeters. For the speed contest they used accelerometers with live radio telemetry. It was odd that the event that calls for the lightest designs also demands that they carry the heaviest tracking payload. Of course many of these rockets may not have been recovered without a radio beacon.

BTW the VCDs posted elsewhere are nicely done, at least for VCDs. However, the commercials were edited out, even the good one. VCDEasy added auto padding, but that was not a problem. Although it could have been done to fit on two CDs instead of three, and three SVCDs would be even better.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

We had a similar incident at a Ft Wayne meet back in the 70s. Some one stopped their car, got out, grabbed tracking West (or was it east), jumped back in the car, and drove off. Never figured out what someone who wasn't a rocket person would do with one Sky-Track.

Those PRK range rats are just bizare. Not only will thay take anything that's not bolted down, they'll take stuff that is. At NARAM-29 at Mile Square, I'd pounded my tarp stakes in so well that at the end of the day I couldn't get them out of the ground, even with a claw hammer. So I left them for the next day. Sure enough 6 of 9 were stolen the next morning. And they'd scrounge up every dead motor casing we might have left around too. I hope they enjoyed the fine fragrence of Chateau Penrose 1987.

Bob Kaplow

Was it supposed to be "/ the congress"? :)

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Well, to paraphrase a unix joke from a couple years ago...

rm -rf /president

Bob Kaplow

what, only the executive branch? to paraphrase Mark Twain,

mv /congress /progress

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

"paraphrase" Mark Twain? You ARE a computer geek!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I resemble that remark! oops, that's another rmr thread. this should be in the FAQ!

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

here's one for TRA ... (hope NEWS doesn't eat some characters)

find / \( -name 'B. Kelly' -o -name 'Bruce Kelly' \) -print -exec rm {} \;

- iz

Bob Kaplow wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed