HPR question

If a NAR section holds a HPR sport launch, is it required that the RSO or Safety Check person both be L2 if you plan on launching L2 models? Could
they be L1 people ?
shockie B)

or
An RSO or "safety check person" must be an L2 at an NAR HPR launch.
-- Drake "Doc" Damerau www.rocketmaterials.org NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3 www.nepra.com Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Not if they've completed the RSO training program, or you're only flying L1 rockets.

RSO
Could
Doh! Yeah, I forget about the RSO training program. It's not a very talked about program.

But I was answering his specific question. Thanks for set'in it straight.

http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.nar.org
http://www.space-rockets.com/congress.html
-- Drake "Doc" Damerau www.rocketmaterials.org NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3 www.nepra.com Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Why?
see thread "Re: NFPA and rocketry (Re: typo in NFPA1127 ?)" for a NFPA 1127 reference
- iz
Jerry Irvine wrote:

So bad rules propogating into bad launch practices.
Typical.

The RSO should check that rockets meet the "field rules".
It should be the L2/L3 mentors and fellow rocketeers that check details like electronics, motor assembly, rocket construction and such. It is a philosophical distinction that matters. The RSO is incapable of checking all that stuff in the short time a pad is assigned on hundreds of rockets. To charge him with that duty is to knowingly invite it to be set aside as weather happens, crowds happen, fatigue sets in, etc. Just not practical.

I prefer the NAR terminology. An RSO is the head person supervising the entire operation. Usually wandering the range and looking for trouble. Not doing the tasks deligated to other officials, such as the LCO and SCO.
The person inspecting each rocket before flight is the Safety Check Officer. It is their job to check the rocket for safe operation and other requirements like motor certification, wiaver complaince, etc.

I've seen too many launches where "SCOs" were there to just make sure all the stupid little boxes onthe flight card were filled in. They never bother to actually check the rocket for safety. This is a waste of time, and you're not doing your job. IMHO an "SCO" who never rejects anything isn't doing their job. But neither is an SCO that has a half mile long checklist, and procedes to inspect every item for every rocket.
The philosophy I use when I do SCO duty is that I am to ask each person ***THREE*** questions. The trick only learned through experience is WHICH three questions to ask of each person. One thing you should consider is what the most likely failure modes are, and be sure they are all addressed. You have to think like Murphy to do the job...
writes:

Officer.
bother
you're
I have to admit that I get a little lazy when checking small mod rocks. A quick check of the fins, balance it on my finger while visualizing the CP and it's good to go. However, because we launch composite E and F motors from the mod rock racks, we set them at 50 feet. Yes, farther than required but it keeps them safe from lazy RSO's

what
I kind of do the same thing. It's like a quick interview. Ask some question. If they have quick and intelligent answers he's ok. If they ask you if the motor is OK for it just before they launch it, you have problems.

http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.nar.org
http://www.space-rockets.com/congress.html
-- Drake "Doc" Damerau www.rocketmaterials.org NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3 www.nepra.com Remove "My Shorts" to reply

(best Monty Python voice)
"answer me these questions 3, before the flightline you will see"
1."What is your name?"
2. "What is your quest?"
3. "What is the airspeed of an Alpha on an A8-3?"
question back.. "An original Alpha or the plastic one?" response back.. "I don't know! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

I'll have to use this next time I check in one of your rockets :-)
Speaking of Alpha's what's up with them Wood?
Joel. phx
writes:

person
http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.nar.org
http://www.space-rockets.com/congress.html
They're moving, but slowly... see alpha40.azrockets.org

I posted a reference in the "NFPA and rocketry" thread where the proposal for an ARSO (assistant Range Safety Officer) was rejected. From your description of a SCO, that sounds like a similar role.
Although NFPA ROP makes a reference to people who assist the RSO.
But I certainly agree with your point, that the RSO could use some help.
- iz
Bob Kaplow wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@myshorts.sprynet.com says...

Ever notice most of those things are skinny and pointy?
Sharp sticks. You'll put an eye out.
--
Kurt Kesler

Which brings us back to my argument from long ago that the test should be before L1, not L2. You don't get to wait and take the written part of the driving test until you go past an auto license and apply for a CDL, do you?

Sounds like at least one organization should seriously consider using at least this rule.
writes:

safe
you?
I too was surprised to learn that. The test has simple questions like having to know CG/CP relationships. Shouldn't that be demonstrated before moving to HPR?

an
can't
We (NEPRA) make sure RSO's are L2's. L3 is even better. To expand on this idea, LCO's must be 18.