HPR question

If a NAR section holds a HPR sport launch, is it required that the RSO or Safety Check person both be L2 if you plan on launching L2 models? Could they be L1 people ?

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

An RSO or "safety check person" must be an L2 at an NAR HPR launch.

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

"shockwaveriderz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

The person must be L2 or have completed the NAR TSO program to serve as RSO at a NAR HPR launch.

Reply to
David W.

what if you are only launching L1(HI) size models? Is an L2 still required as RSO ? shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

To the best of my Knowledge you have to be L3 to serve as RSO. But you only need to be 18 years of age to be LCO.

-- James Dean Cory, D.C. NAR 75296 L2 snipped-for-privacy@msn.com

Reply to
James Dean Cory, D.C.

In order to fly L2 rockets you ned EITHER:

o One person who is Level 2

or

o One person who has passed the "Trained RSO" process.

Bob Kaplow

Not if they've completed the RSO training program, or you're only flying L1 rockets.

Bob Kaplow

Absolutely incorrect.

Bob Kaplow

As usual

Reply to
Stephen Corban

AND.....

the ability to stick your left elbow in your right ear while simultaneously singing "The Star Spangled Banner" in Hungarian with your teeth clenched together and your toes crossed, standing in mud.

-- Eric Benner TRA # 8975 L2 NAR # 79398

Reply to
Eric Benner

Of course that sounds logical. Or, are you implying that a flyer can't be his own RSO, and needs a second qualified person as RSO?

Reply to
Alan Jones

ROFL

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Why?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

It seemed like such a simple question...

Reply to
NaCl

see thread "Re: NFPA and rocketry (Re: typo in NFPA1127 ?)" for a NFPA

1127 reference

- iz

Jerry Irv> >>An RSO or "safety check person" must be an L2 at an NAR HPR launch.

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

So bad rules propogating into bad launch practices.

Typical.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Doh! Yeah, I forget about the RSO training program. It's not a very talked about program.

But I was answering his specific question. Thanks for set'in it straight.

-- Drake "Doc" Damerau

NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3
Remove "My Shorts" to reply

Reply to
Doc

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this Jerry. I think it's a safe and easy way for a national organization to ensure that the RSO has good knowledge (L2 test) and good building practices.

Are there uncertified people that know mor and are better builders than an L2? Of course there are. I'm sure many. But, Haveing them certed to L2 ensures that they at least have these skills. A national organization can't have a rule that says "Check the guy out. If he dosen't appear to be an idiot, let him be the RSO."

Doc

Reply to
Doc

The RSO should check that rockets meet the "field rules".

It should be the L2/L3 mentors and fellow rocketeers that check details like electronics, motor assembly, rocket construction and such. It is a philosophical distinction that matters. The RSO is incapable of checking all that stuff in the short time a pad is assigned on hundreds of rockets. To charge him with that duty is to knowingly invite it to be set aside as weather happens, crowds happen, fatigue sets in, etc. Just not practical.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

yeah it started off that way..... but then this is RMR ...... shockie B(

Reply to
shockwaveriderz