returning to rocketry, HPR certification questions

I think the main reason I lost interest in rocketry was because there were no launches near my home (in central Texas). Tripoli had a prefecture in Waco (I was TRA #3354), and they held a couple of launches -- that was where I got my certification. But that seemed to die out after a while. I certified with my PML Quasar and an Aerotech H242T reload in June of 1996, nearly eight years ago. That was a proud moment for me, and yet that turned out to be the last launch I attended and the only flight I ever made with a high power rocket.

Now. . . I've learned that NAR are holding their National Sport Launch just down the road a piece, in McGregor! I joined NAR a few months ago in anticipation of this event. Obviously I'm going to be there. . . Whether I'll launch anything, I dunno. I think I'd like to.

I might try for NAR level 1 certification. I've still got the old PML Quasar rocket, and I've still got the RMS and three reloads for it: H112J-10, I211W-14, and another H242T-10 just like the one I used before. These reloads have been in storage for the last nearly eight years, yet they appear to still be in good shape. I couldn't see any of these on the NAR certified motors list, but I read that Tripoli certified motors are acceptable. Is that correct? It seems to me like I should be able to use these, if I'm reading the rules right.

Assuming I were to certify successfully, would I be able to continue flying the rocket at this event and burn up all three of those old motors? They've been storage long enough, I reckon it's time to use them or lose them. From what I read on the NAR website, it implies that the certification must be returned to NAR HQ before the applicant is officially considered to be certified. It seems like I can fly an H or I motor to certify, but then have to wait for the paperwork to go through before I can use an H or I motor again. But, I might be misinterpreting that. I'll love to heard advice from somebody who really knows.

Reply to
Tony Belding

C'mon on back, Tony.

Your motors are still certified and still useful too. Just scrap the perpellant a bit in the slot of the one slug that's going near the top of the motor to give the igniter some fresh stuff to burn. And as far as your cert question goes, yes, you can continue flying that day. There is a temporary cert card attached to the cert form. Have your cert team sign it, tear it off, and you're ready to go.

steve

Reply to
default

Reply to
Chad L. Ellis

It seems like I can fly an H

You don't have to wait for your paperwork to go through NAR HQ to continue flying HPR after certification. There is a little card that you and your certification team member(s) fill out on the bottom of the paperwork. Remove and keep that portion of it before you send it in. This is your certification card that you can use until your updated NAR Membership card arrives showing your new certification level.

Welcome back to Rocketry, Tony!

-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L2

J.A. Michel

Thanks for pointing that out!

It sure is a nuisance, though. That's way over twice the distance from me. *grumbles*

Reply to
Tony Belding

Tony Belding wrote: > I think the main reason I lost interest in rocketry was because there were no > launches near my home (in central Texas). Tripoli had a prefecture in Waco > (I was TRA #3354), and they held a couple of launches -- that was where I got > my certification. But that seemed to die out after a while. I certified > with my PML Quasar and an Aerotech H242T reload in June of 1996, nearly eight > years ago. That was a proud moment for me, and yet that turned out to be the > last launch I attended and the only flight I ever made with a high power > rocket. >

Actually, the launch was relocated by AARG to Hearne. The McGregor field is used by the Dallas Area Rocket Society. We (DARS) normally would have a launch in McGregor on Memorial Day weekend except for NSL being relocated. DARS has scheduled several launches at McGregor this year but they have all been rained out. We will try again in June. Check out the launch schedule at

There is still a rocket club in Waco and they have held a few launches. Their field is closed for a while because of crops though. Check them out at:

> I might try for NAR level 1 certification. I've still got the old PML Quasar > rocket, and I've still got the RMS and three reloads for it: H112J-10, > I211W-14, and another H242T-10 just like the one I used before. These > reloads have been in storage for the last nearly eight years, yet they appear > to still be in good shape. I couldn't see any of these on the NAR certified > motors list, but I read that Tripoli certified motors are acceptable. Is > that correct? It seems to me like I should be able to use these, if I'm > reading the rules right. >

The NAR recognizes TRA certifications. If you take another look at the NAR web site you will find a combined list of certified motors and all three of the motors you list are on it. You can fly these motors at NSL.

Part of the certification form is an interim certification card. This is valid (if properly filled out and signed) and will hold you over until your official new card arrives from NAR headquarters. So long as you have the interim card (along with a valid NAR card of course), you can fly as many more H and I motors as you can stand.

Reply to
David Schultz

Reply to
Chad L. Ellis

Check out the HPR certification form on the NAR website:

off a copy, fill in the top part of page 1 before you get to the field. Look at the checklist on page 2, be ready to follow it at the launch. I am handling NAR L1 and L2 certifications at NSL this year, look me up (ask someone) when you are ready to prep your rocket. I'll want to inspect the recovery system before you prep and observe your prep. Then do a safe flight and I sign your paperwork.

You could use your own certificati> I think the main reason I lost interest in rocketry was because there

Reply to
Alex Mericas