Getting back into HPR after couple years -- refresh me?

Hey Everyone,
Last time I lit a motor was when I was 16 out at Whitakers, much to the shagrin to the NAR and Tripoli prefects at the time. I'm 21 now, and I
can now certify on my own accord, so that's cool. But it's been a while since I bought motors or checked out the products...can you guys help me out?
Where do you guys get your motors most of the time? Is Ken at Peformance Hobbies still around? I saw Magnum is out of business..
--> Are Pro38 motors still available? --> Are Aerotech HPR reloads available in supply? Last I checked, Aerotech exploded. --> Are certification procedures the same as before? Level 1 just launch, Level 2 launch and test, and Level 3...well, I won't be going there. --> what's the status on LEUPs and the ATF? Do we still need an LEUP for a Class B reload?
I recently broke out my old rocket and Dr. Rocket casings with serial numbers in the low 50's, and my Adept ALTS25 altimeter still works. I'll be looking to get out to Whitakers, NC (assuming those guys are still around) later in the month to get some stuff back in the air.
Thanks for all of your help!
Adam Attarian
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Welcome back!

Performance is indeed still around; Giant Leap is growing fairly quickly and trying to fill the niche Magnum left.

Yep, along with Pro54, Pro75, Pro98 and Pro150!

Yes
Yes
Unfortunately....
That stuff should all work just fine!
-Kevin
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I don't know why that would be a problem.

I get most of mine from What's Up Hobbies. Big dealer with lots of AT, CTI and Ellis motors. They attend a lot of launches in the southwest. No online motor sales though, last I checked.

Yep, and Pro54's and Pro75's and Pro98's and even some Pro150's!

Burned, not exploded. And yes, they have plenty of reloads available now.

Yep, still the same.

No real change yet.

According to ATF, yeah. Or you can just get someone with a LEUP to buy the motor for you. Most launches these days have some such system worked out.

Since you are the one who says the ATF (and AT) is always right, no matter how wack they are, they say the propellants were "deflagrating explosives".
Furthermore Errortech themselves self-defined motors above some arbitrary size as "Reastricted Access"-sm, and logged them onto an ATF log despite 27 CFR 555.141-a-8.
So they were "explosives".
And you fully agree and support the folks who say so.
Jerry
Jerry Irvine wrote:

I've never said that, and you know it. What I've said is that they have the authority to enforce their interpretation of the regs, even when they are wrong. The ATF doesn't give a flying fig about your interpretation of the regs, or mine, or anyone else's.

As required by ATF.

As defined by ATF. BTW, just because something is classified as an explosive doesn't mean it can't burn. For instance, C4 is a true high explosive but it will just burn if you set fire to it.

I fully agree with and support the folks who are fighting the ATF legally, via the courts. You've expressed a desire to fight the ATF by putting your own neck on the line as an unlicensed manufacturer and/or distributor, and I fully support that too. In fact, I seem to support it a lot more than you do, since you keep refusing to actually do it.
What I don't support is your desire to have someone else (TRA/NAR) put their necks on the line in place of your own.

"There's nothing to apologize for. Apparently you are STILL incapable of understanding the difference between making a statement of fact, and the listing of possible scenarios." - Ray Dunakin 5-10-05, ultimate TRA apologist
"Now, you are free to believe that Paul Holmes is a lying scumbucket who doesn't do what he says he did." - Ray Dunakin
"Look how many times Ray has been verifiably (citing specifics) called a liar by several folks here and the label sticks well." - Jerry
"I'll give you that..." - Phil Stein
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Quote: Jerry, Stop acting like a moron.. -Fred Wallace- End quote.
Quote: I can't, it's all about me.. -Jerry End quote.
heh, the prefects minded because they were H and I motors :-x
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Which is irrational since Federally ALL sport motors are ATF exempt from all restrictions (including age) except CPSC, but since you cannot actually buy HPR motors over the counter that reg does not apply.
HPR is minor compatible.
Well, unless you are a TRA or NAR member.
If HPR was available in Wal-Mart, you would have to be an adult to buy them just like Estes D12 motors.
Jerry
Jerry Irvine wrote:

I'm assuming the problem was that he's both a minor, and uncertified. Neither of those issues has anything to do with ATF.

Only if a certified adult buys the motor and supervises its use.

You don't know what you're talking about, as usual.

Even adults would have to be certified, as required by NFPA codes, unless you happen to be in a city and state that hasn't adopted NFPA codes.

70% of big cities.
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Prove it, Jerry. What's your source for this number? My guess is, you pulled it out of an orifice. If not, post a verifiable cite.

The adoption rates of NFPA codes (without amendment) in big cities.
The REAL irony of NFPA codes is they are most adopted in rural areas where they have the very least significance and application.
Jerry

Jerry Irvine wrote:

I asked for your source of this information, not a rehashing of your statement. Post a verifiable cite. Also, why are you now limiting it to only those that have adopted the codes without amendment? Amendments are irrelevant unless they are specifically amending the part of the code related to rocketry. If you are inferring that that is the case, what is your source of information -- how do you know what cities have enacted codes specifically superceding the NFPA rocket codes? Do you know whether these amendments more restrictive, or less, and if you do, what is your source?
˙

No. You ignore those.
You must know by now via "relaible sources" you blindly trust that CA for example has NOT adopted NFPA-1122, 1125, 1127.
Extrapolate.
Trust but verify.
Jerry

Nothing stopping you from doing the research I have. Go.
Jerry Irvine wrote:

A felon, such as yourself, would be restricted from purchasing them.

How does Bruce Kelly get around this?
People who exercise their embryonic freedom day after day, little by little, expand that freedom. People who do not will find that it withers until they are literally "being lived." They are acting out scripts written by parents, associates, and society. --Stephen R. Covey
On 27 Jun 2005 12:51:31 -0500, kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

Has he ever been convicted of a felony like Jerry has?
I don't want to hear about the stuff he's been accused of if he was not convicted by a judge in a court of law.
BTW - if you have first hand knowledge of him commiting a felony and don't report it, aren't you an accessory?

Per BATFE regs, you don't need to be convicted. If you have been CHARGED with something that COULD have resulted in felony charges, you are prohibited from getting an LEUP.
You'll have to discuss Bruce's background with Bruce. But when I was a TRA member, half of the board would have been prohibited from getting LEUPs.
We have awakened a sleeping giant and instilled in it a terrible resolve. -- Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, WWII.

C O R R E C T.
Jerry