Getting back into HPR after couple years -- refresh me?

Hey Everyone,

Last time I lit a motor was when I was 16 out at Whitakers, much to the shagrin to the NAR and Tripoli prefects at the time. I'm 21 now, and I can now certify on my own accord, so that's cool. But it's been a while since I bought motors or checked out the products...can you guys help me out?

Where do you guys get your motors most of the time? Is Ken at Peformance Hobbies still around? I saw Magnum is out of business..

--> Are Pro38 motors still available?

--> Are Aerotech HPR reloads available in supply? Last I checked, Aerotech exploded.

--> Are certification procedures the same as before? Level 1 just launch, Level 2 launch and test, and Level 3...well, I won't be going there.

--> what's the status on LEUPs and the ATF? Do we still need an LEUP for a Class B reload?

I recently broke out my old rocket and Dr. Rocket casings with serial numbers in the low 50's, and my Adept ALTS25 altimeter still works. I'll be looking to get out to Whitakers, NC (assuming those guys are still around) later in the month to get some stuff back in the air.

Thanks for all of your help!

Adam Attarian

Reply to
adam.attarian

Welcome back!

Performance is indeed still around; Giant Leap is growing fairly quickly and trying to fill the niche Magnum left.

Yep, along with Pro54, Pro75, Pro98 and Pro150!

Yes

Yes

Unfortunately....

That stuff should all work just fine!

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

I don't know why that would be a problem.

I get most of mine from What's Up Hobbies. Big dealer with lots of AT, CTI and Ellis motors. They attend a lot of launches in the southwest. No online motor sales though, last I checked.

Yep, and Pro54's and Pro75's and Pro98's and even some Pro150's!

Burned, not exploded. And yes, they have plenty of reloads available now.

Yep, still the same.

No real change yet.

According to ATF, yeah. Or you can just get someone with a LEUP to buy the motor for you. Most launches these days have some such system worked out.

raydunakin

Since you are the one who says the ATF (and AT) is always right, no matter how wack they are, they say the propellants were "deflagrating explosives".

Furthermore Errortech themselves self-defined motors above some arbitrary size as "Reastricted Access"-sm, and logged them onto an ATF log despite 27 CFR 555.141-a-8.

So they were "explosives".

And you fully agree and support the folks who say so.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

heh, the prefects minded because they were H and I motors :-x

Reply to
adam.attarian

Which is irrational since Federally ALL sport motors are ATF exempt from all restrictions (including age) except CPSC, but since you cannot actually buy HPR motors over the counter that reg does not apply.

HPR is minor compatible.

Well, unless you are a TRA or NAR member.

If HPR was available in Wal-Mart, you would have to be an adult to buy them just like Estes D12 motors.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I've never said that, and you know it. What I've said is that they have the authority to enforce their interpretation of the regs, even when they are wrong. The ATF doesn't give a flying fig about your interpretation of the regs, or mine, or anyone else's.

As required by ATF.

As defined by ATF. BTW, just because something is classified as an explosive doesn't mean it can't burn. For instance, C4 is a true high explosive but it will just burn if you set fire to it.

I fully agree with and support the folks who are fighting the ATF legally, via the courts. You've expressed a desire to fight the ATF by putting your own neck on the line as an unlicensed manufacturer and/or distributor, and I fully support that too. In fact, I seem to support it a lot more than you do, since you keep refusing to actually do it.

What I don't support is your desire to have someone else (TRA/NAR) put their necks on the line in place of your own.

raydunakin

That shouldn't make any difference, as long as you were doing it under the supervision of an certified adult flyer and with that flyer's name on the card.

Of course, if you just tried to slip one by them, that wouldn't go over well.

^
Reply to
raydunakin

I'm assuming the problem was that he's both a minor, and uncertified. Neither of those issues has anything to do with ATF.

Only if a certified adult buys the motor and supervises its use.

You don't know what you're talking about, as usual.

Even adults would have to be certified, as required by NFPA codes, unless you happen to be in a city and state that hasn't adopted NFPA codes.

Reply to
raydunakin

A felon, such as yourself, would be restricted from purchasing them.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

70% of big cities.
Reply to
Jerry Irvine

"There's nothing to apologize for. Apparently you are STILL incapable of understanding the difference between making a statement of fact, and the listing of possible scenarios."

- Ray Dunakin 5-10-05, ultimate TRA apologist

"Now, you are free to believe that Paul Holmes is a lying scumbucket who doesn't do what he says he did."

- Ray Dunakin

"Look how many times Ray has been verifiably (citing specifics) called a liar by several folks here and the label sticks well."

- Jerry

"I'll give you that..."

- Phil Stein

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Prove it, Jerry. What's your source for this number? My guess is, you pulled it out of an orifice. If not, post a verifiable cite.

Reply to
raydunakin

He wasn't....

You got that correct..

Fred

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

A felon, such as yourself, would be restricted from purchasing them.

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

Quote: Jerry, Stop acting like a moron.. -Fred Wallace- End quote.

Quote: I can't, it's all about me.. -Jerry End quote.

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

They have serial numbers??? [checks casings] oh my goodness they do too. To divert this thread from the usual JerryFlameWars into a bragging contest, does anyone have any numbers lower than "low 50's"?

Reply to
GD

well, i have a 4 grain 38mm dr. rocket casing that is serialized 001 when i bought it at LDRS...it was the flame version, looks cool.

Reply to
adam.attarian

How does Bruce Kelly get around this?

Bob Kaplow

Now both NAR and TRA offer Junior HPR certification. I think I witnessed a first last weekend. I'm sure there are plenty of father and son and even husband and wife certifications. At MRFF on Fathers Day we had a Grandmother and Grandson both L1 certify on the same day. Although it wasn't official until a week later, because the grandson lost his rocket, it was found this weekend.

Bob Kaplow