Getting back into the hobby

When I was a teenager(late 70's), I had a few rocket that I occasionally
launched. Nothing special - I don't think I had anything larger than a "B"
engine. Now at 41, I'd like to try it again with my fiancee's kids. The girl
is 10, and the boy is 4. Are they old enough? I figure the boy can at least
hit the launch button from a safe distance. Does anything like those old
rockets still exist? If so, where are they available from? I'd also need to
find a decent launch field in the Detroit area. A few quick websearches have
come up empty.
Any assistance is appreciated.
Eldred
Reply to
EldredP
Fred Shecter
I would also recommend
This site will answer many questions, and give links to many vendor sites. When you have more time go to
this is an extensive collection of the plans to most of the old rockets. I also have some links to look around on my web page at
look under "links" Welcome back, and Happy Flying
Reply to
Dickinson's
Cool links! I'll study the plans, and see what I can find that I like. Neat pictures on your site, as well. You sure you have enough rockets? :-) How many DO you have, anyway? I don't remember seeing a count.
Eldred
Reply to
EldredP
Somebody's already suggested JimZ for plans for old (& not so old) Estes & Centuri kits & others. Balsa Maching Service (BMS) is an excellent, inexpensive source for nosecones, body tubes, transitions, centering rings & just about everything yoou'd need to build from JimZ plans. They can also custom turn nosecones & transitions. And they offer the great line of Edmonds gliders:
Semroc offers some well done kits of old:
-- Richard "that ought to get him started" Hickok
Reply to
Rhhickok
Ok, thanks! I'll check those as well. With all these links, I may end up with a collection like Jim's...
Eldred
Reply to
EldredP
If you live in Detroit then you have a GREAT rocket shop near by....
Commonwealth Displays 12649 Dix-Toledo Road Southgate, MI 48195 Phone 734-282-1055
Website is at:
They have Everything from Estes/Quest to HPR and at good prices !
I live in Toledo, oHIo and Launch with TARS #639, a nice NAR affiliated club
Our website is: ToledoRocketry.com
------------------------------------- Jim Chambers NAR 80299 L1 ------------------------------------- F.A.R.T. Friendly American Rocket Technologies Friendly American Rocket Team ------------------------------------- Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult -------------------------------------
Reply to
Jim Chambers
Eldred,
If you are truly interested in the hobby check out Commonwealth Displays in Southgate on Dix road. Also...Just an FYI. The Jackson club has a launch this Saturday at Michigan International Speedway in Brooklyn...about an hours drive for me (live in Dearborn). We welcome flyers of all types and ages...My kids and I have been attending launches with this club for 4 or 5 years and have a blast. So if you got 'em (rockets and kids)....bring 'em (rockets and kids)....and fly 'em (rockets only!)....Seriously though...if you are inserted.in coming out to the launch...drop me a note off list...The Jackson Club Website is: wwwJMRConline.org..
Mark A Palmer TRA 08542 L3 JMRC Club Secretary
Reply to
Mark A Palmer
Hi Mark - Wow - Commonwealth has a lot of fans! That's a good sign... A couple of people sent me e-mail about the club launch at MIS. I may try to check that out. You've got mail.
Eldred
Reply to
EldredP
By all means come on out to MIS this Saturday. We fly everything from the rockets you remember (still have a few in my box from my younger days) to all the latest and greatest. Need a rocket? I'll loan you one. Need a motor? I'll give you one. Need some help? We can all do that. A great bunch of people. I stopped by a launch at MIS a couple of years ago and have been having a blast since.
Tony Haga
Reply to
Tony H.
Eldred,
I also invite you to visit FlisKits at
Welcome back to the hobby. A lot has happened and the hobby is as strong as ever!
jim
Reply to
Jim Flis
All of my kids had a period at around 3-5 years of age in which they didn't like the sound of even low powered engines. Letting them stand back aways helped. All of them also tended to get bored sooner than I did at a launch. The key, like most activities, is to watch out for when they get bored or frightened, and stop then.
Sam Midkiff
A better email address than the one given in the message header is: s m i d k i f f aaaat p u r d u e dottttt e d u
Reply to
Sam Midkiff
One club not mentioned is the Huron Valley Rocket Society:
Peter Alway
Saturn Press PO Box 3709 Ann Arbor, MI 48106-3709
scale data at:
PeteAlway
Hi Eldred.
not sure how far south in Detroit you are. If you are, Toledo Area Rocket Society might work for you. One of their fields is in Bedford, Mi, right by Monroe. Take a peek at their website.
Reggie
Shecter"
Reply to
REGGIE
Thanks!
Eldred
Reply to
EldredP
Anything soccer field size or better is good for A-C engine rockets
Estes Big Foot launch pad or any "starter kit" will be fine for small rockets. If you have any electronics, electrical experience you can make a mor sturdy launch system out of an extention cord (cut off the ends) and use the ends for a safety key, and put a push button door bell switch for launching. Micro-clips at one end for the rocket and small aligator clips at the other for the battery (I use a 6volt lantren battery
One way yes, but unless you have some inside information on how to control the wind. . . My suggestion would be to launch at the up-wind end of the field. If your rocket has large fins it will wind cock (turn into the wind) so tilt the launch rod in the direction of the wind. the rocket will turn towards the wind making it fly higher. If the rocket has very small fins then launch it straight up. Never launch in high winds. just a moderate breeze.
There are alot of kits from many companies. You can even get pre-built rockets at estate auctions and on E-bay Make use of the web and you can have loads of fun for low costs.
You're welcome :-)
Reply to
Gretta Lif
snip
Am I the only one that can't see the original post?
Randy
Reply to
<randyolb
yep
Reply to
<steves-place
All us Charter users must have missed out...go figure.
John
Reply to
John Stein
You haven't missed much.